Tuesday, November 3, 2020

Tuesday Triangles

Last Wednesday I posted about how I'm waist deep in waste triangles. I really want to use them but feel I need a little plan for how I'm going to use them. Now I kind of have some plans.  

As I've been sorting through the triangles each evening for a half hour or so I've pulled out sets of two matching triangles and paired them up with another two matching triangles and have been making little hourglass blocks. I don't really care if they are wonky or all the same size because I don't really like squaring up or trimming.  I don't know where I'm going after this but for now I'm making some little Hourglasses. 

I have two pencil cases of pairs stacked and ready to sew together for a few minutes each day in between projects. 

I keep an old cigar box for units that need trimming.  I just scissor trim off the dog ears each evening while in front of the TV. 


Then some of the triangles get sorted by color. I actually enjoy sorting because it is fun to look at all the different fabrics. 


Last week I started making Shoofly blocks using solids as a background. Now when I have solid scraps I know I can cut 8 two inch squares and have them ready to go to make these blocks. It doesn't take much time now that I have a lot of triangles sorted by color. 

For years I made Little Wonky Stars off and on as a Rainbow Scrap Challenge project. I sorted those last week and decided to pull out those with white backgrounds. Now I've decided to turn them into Double 9 Patches and I had enough for 3 blocks that finish at 13.5 inches. 

Like the Shoofly blocks I know I can now cut any white fabric scraps into 2 inch squares and grab some triangles to make Stars when the urge strikes.  I'm aiming for a twin sized quilt and have written down somewhere how many Stars and how many 5 inch squares I need so I can cut those from scraps. 


 And that brings me to the rest of the Little Wonky Stars I have on hand that finish at 4.5 inches. My November OMG (One Monthly Goal) is to turn these into a donation quilt top approximately 40 x 60.  There's not enough Wonky Stars to just use Wonky Stars in the quilt but I think I have a plan. 

15 comments:

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

These are all such fun blocks - I like how your hourglasses are turning out!

Linda said...

Very clever use of those waste triangles. I understand you enjoying sorting scraps. I do too!

cityquilter grace said...

lots of pretty scrap sewing!

Quiltdivajulie said...

The hourglasses would make great centers for framed blocks ... sorting CAN be fun (I’m with you on that).

Julierose said...

Love those hour glasses--so neat...hugs, Julierose

Connie said...

Oh, look at all those fabulous scraps of different fabric. Your scrap box is like opening a box of jewels. Looking forward to seeing your finished projects.
Happy quilting!
Connie :)

The Joyful Quilter said...

Wow! What a load of scrap(s), Cathy!! It looks like enough for any number of hours of scrappy fun. Enjoy and good luck on working through this month's goal!

Pamela Arbour said...

Always got to start with a plan. Sounds like you have a good one. My waste triangles are still hibernating! Lol

Unknown said...

I wish I was as organized as you are. I could get a lot more accomplished if I was. Too many decisions! Very cute projects! purrfection8@gmail.com

Libby in TN said...

Thanks for more inspiration!

gayle said...

Oh dear. There you go again being all inspiring and stuff...
(Those little shoo-flies are making my heart flutter!)

Cindy said...

Love your tiny triangles & what you do with them!!!! You have inspired me to do something with mine as I hate to just throw them away!!!! thank you!

Ann said...

Your commitment to using even the waste triangles is an inspiration. Smart plan to use them as they are produced. This is not something I'd like to store for years. So tiny.
And three plans. Just like you. All lovely.

Astrid Reflux said...

oooooh, i love those starry 9 patches - that's a GREAT idea for scraps.

Patty said...

Fun! Thanks for linking up with Elm Street Quilts One Monthly Goal and good luck with your project.