Tuesday, November 24, 2020

Looking Through Rose Colored Scraps




Last week I decided to work with my Rose themed scraps. I divided them into two bins - one with pastels and one with darks- reds and blacks.  I started with the bin of pastels. 

The widest width of scrap was 6.5-7 inches and the narrowest width was 1.5 inches. At first glance I thought I could just make a simple Nine Patch quilt alternating Nine Patches and large squares. But when I found I really didn't have all that many 6.5 inch squares I changed my mind. I decided to make a variety of different six inch blocks - four patches, nine patches, framed squares.  I added in a few small pieces of pastel ginghams and polka dots.  It takes the longest time to cut the scraps using them to their best advantage. 

I'm looking forward to a nice throw sized quilt for me. I love roses. 

I have something different in mind for the bin of dark colored rose scraps. I'll tell you about it another day. 




 

15 comments:

Quiltdivajulie said...

I like your plan!

Linda said...

I remember you used a lot of roses fabrics before. Surprised you have any bunches of roses left! You will enjoy your Roses Throw and I am looking forward to seeing the finished quilt. 💐

gayle said...

The future is looking pretty rosy for you!

Robin said...

Boy! You have been busy cleaning out the scrap bins. I had so much fun seeing what you are planning. I love the quilt at Klein Meisje with that wonderful green. I could smell roses as I was reading todays post. Seriously, I really could. Look forward to seeing it all come together.

Julierose said...

Oh I love roses too, this looks so pretty--what a lovely sett up you are doing hugs from afar Julierose

The Joyful Quilter said...

SEW sweet, Cathy!!

mangozz said...

Very pretty fabrics! Anything you make with these colors will be beautiful.

Ann said...

Between your sweet florals and your mix of blocks, this will be a Bohemian chic quilt. So stylish! Have fun. Happy Thanksgiving, Cathy.

Kathy S. said...

Pretty! I love the rose themed plan.

Nancy said...

What beautiful rose fabrics you have, Cathy. I have a rose-themed quilt in mind but with fewer rose fabrics it will not look quite as rich as yours!

maggie fellow said...

lovely fabrics and choices

Pamela Arbour said...

Looks like you might have enough for two large quilts in there! Nice fabric.

MissPat said...

I have a lot of rose fabrics, too, but mostly in yardage. Of course, I also have lots of tulips, iris, lilacs, hydrangea, you get the idea. I've seen quilts by several Australian quilters that are similar to yours and I keep thinking that's what I should do. After all, the fabrics can't be enjoyed while sitting in bins. I should have them out to enjoy and make up for the ones I can't grow in the garden because of the deer. Happy Thanksgiving.
Pat

Julie A Hutcherson said...

Oh! Mercy me! You just loosed a squirrel in my sewing room.

I love your roses.

Louise said...

So many beautiful fabrics! I love roses, too, but have no rose fabrics. I'll going to enjoy looking at yours as you move this project along :)