Tuesday, October 6, 2020

What Was in the Hoop


It's a finish!
Peppermint Twist
50 x 62.5
Hand quilted

I made big Dresden Plate quilt blocks and trimmed them square to 13 inches unfinished. I finished the top back in October 2018. 

Hand quilted with perle cotton #12 in concentric circles alternating between red and white threads. I buttonhole stitched around the polka dot center circles. The red threads don't show up as well as the white circles. You may think it a lot of work to hand quilt on busy fabrics where quilting doesn't show up as much but I wanted each block to have those concentric circles and I knew I had more control over quilting by hand than on my DSM. It has the motion and texture that was my goal and I enjoy hand quilting more than quilting on my DSM. 


The backing is pieced yardage that's been aging in my box of Christmas fabrics. I figured it is not too Christmas-y looking and would be suitable as a backing for this quilt with the red and white and circles. Plus I've been trying to use up those Christmas fabrics so win-win. 


 And the binding was a peppermint stripe. 


16 comments:

Frog Quilter said...

Love your peppermint quilt. So beautiful.

Linda said...

Wow, this is a delightful quilt! Well worth all the hand quilting. Hope you are keeping this for yourself or a family member. Just lovely.

SandyPA said...

This Peppermint Quilt is one of my favorites of yours! Glad to see you finish it - and it is beautiful! Sandy at sewhigh.blogspot.com

Sharon M said...

I love your work and this quilt is very, very special. The hand quilting adds to its beauty. Congratulations!!

cityquilter grace said...

love it!

Mystic Quilter said...

Cathy this is a beauty, I love the quilting in circles!

The Joyful Quilter said...

What fun quilt and congratulations on your finish!!

Louise said...

Super finish! I didn't realize the blocks were originally made as Dresden plates. They must have been huge! The hand quilting in circles gives this piece so much texture and interest :)

---"Love" said...

I, too, think this is one of my favorites of your quilts! The blocks are so cheerful, and your quilting looks great! I always love bias striped bindings, and use them a lot myself. ---"Love"

Marly said...

It's a lovely result, and such a pretty variation on the Dresden plate.

Pamela Arbour said...

Simply amazing. I can't believe you did all that by hand. Don't let that one out of your sight!

Emily said...

This is so striking and really, really fun! Love the peppermint striped binding!

Ann said...

I love the colors and the design. I've been meaning to make another Twist, too. But mostly I'm amazed at all the hand quilting. Kudos to you for using up more vintage yardage and another glorious finish.

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

I love this quilt and you are right it would have been a nightmare to machine quilt each block with that pattern.

gayle said...

I love those quilted circles!
Though suddenly I'm craving peppermint...

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

This one is definitely a keeper. I might have to make something similar for my living room. So inspiring!