Friday, October 2, 2020

It's a Finish!


Sixteen Patch Stars
60 x 84
It's a finish!
This will be a donation quilt. 


I started making the blocks as a Rainbow Scrap Challenge project to use up scraps from my 3.5 width bin in 2018 and I continued making them through 2019. 

The Sixteen Patches also all have stars although not all of them show up very well until you get closer. 

This is one of the quilts that helped me finally empty the 3. 5 inch scrap bin. 

I wasn't sure what color I should use for the binding. I wished I had a rainbow stripe but didn't so I looked into my leftover binding bin and found a few gray pieces so thought that would do. I cut more gray binding from a stash of small gray chunks. 

I used light gray thread (which is why I thought the gray would be okay for binding) 
and as you can see I quilted echoed (kind of) diagonal wavy lines on my DSM. This was my first try at this and I had to rip out the first four lines because they were all puckered. I didn't put enough pins in for this type of quilting so after ripping I added more pins and the quilting was easier. And I looked at the back after each line was quilted after that to be sure there were no problems. 


 The back is a light blue and gently used sheet I picked up at the thrift store eons ago. 

And on to the next! 


25 comments:

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

oh i so love this one! and the little fussy cut blocks of inspiration ( at least that is what i am calling them) this is a beautiful gift!

Kat Scribner said...

What a great quilt ! I love the color flow and all the scrappy shading it creates.

Julierose said...

Another beautiful finish--I love the rich colors in these blocks--
especially the orange one...nice work hugs, Julierose

Linda said...

Love your Star quilt finish. One of my favourite designs( I’ve made several) so I would have to love this.

Elizabeth V Kelbaugh said...

Love the bright colored blocks. The quilt will be wonderful to brighten someone's spirits. Great job!

---"Love" said...

All those little pieces turned into a really pretty quilt! The binding was a great choice too, and I love your quilting! Someday I'll get brave enough to try that --- maybe! ---"Love"

Connie said...

The word "Joy" fits it to a tea . . . it is such a joyful quilt, Great Job!

cityquilter grace said...

very nice and so colorful!

Quiltdivajulie said...

BEE YOU TEE FULL !!! Well done on the quilting - and yes, more pins do make for better results (although they're a pain to put in).

Jenny said...

Such a lovely quilt, well done! Love your curvy quilting lines too, must try that sometime instead of just straight lines. It really adds something extra and doesn't seem too hard to achieve. Im not worried about using lots of pins, I pin things to death

swooze said...

How joyful! Love it.

Pamela Arbour said...

Congratulations! You are on a roll. You have really accomplished a lot this year

Louise said...

I love how the stars sort of come and go, depending on how close you are! Some almost look like X blocks, others pop out as definite stars. And of course, the rainbow scrappiness of it is just wonderful. Lovely, bright happy finish!

MissPat said...

What a lovely star-filled rainbow quilt, sure to bring someone joy and comfort.
Pat

The Joyful Quilter said...

Love, love, LOVE your cheerful rainbow finish!!!

Cathy said...

That is such a bright and cheerful finish! Stars and wonderful bright colors - you can’t miss!!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

I've always loved those blocks and they make a beautiful quilt! The stars add a fun component to the 16 patches, and I like your quilting, too. Great finish, Cathy!

Gretchen Weaver said...

What a beautiful donation quilt! It will be loved, it's so bright, cheerful and happy.

maggie fellow said...

great happy quilt

Chantal said...

Congratulations! It's fabulous! This pattern usually sports a white or yellow star but I really love the tone on tone star. It gives the quilt a mystery feel to it. Great job! ;^)

Deb A said...

What a wonderful finished quilt! Love how you quilted it.

grammajudyb said...

Yay! The scrappy stars are now a quilt! That are gorgeous! I love it!

Auntie Em said...

What a charming quilt! Someone will be so lucky to receive it.

LA Paylor said...

woohoo!! Take a bow! This is just so beautiful... dark and light areas, stars appearing and stepping back... LOVE it
LeeAnna

Katie Z. said...

Well done. It’s so pretty!