Thursday, October 29, 2020

'30s Thursday


A new top!
63 x 81

Tickertape Parade?
Streamers?
Twist and Shout?
Ribbons?

I had a bunch of '30s reproduction scraps 5 inches in width left over from making a Churn Dash top back in May. 

At around the same time in May I saw Ann (Fret Not Yourself) making quilts with Indian Hatchet blocks and I knew what I wanted to do with my scraps. 

There are a variety of tutorials for making a traditional Indian Hatchet block - Quilter's Cache and Generations Quilt Patterns- but I used what I had on hand which was 5 inch scraps and 2.5 inch scraps to make my blocks. 


 And now the trimmings from the corners of these blocks are being made into little flower baskets. This year I've been trying to use my scraps up as they are generated. I have not always been successful but I'm working on it. 

19 comments:

SandyPA said...

I've got a name for you: Tumblewings.

Nann said...

A touch of frost on the grass for this photo? Great use of the 30's scraps....maybe there will be a couple more flimsies out of my much-reduced 30's stash after all.

Quiltdivajulie said...

Another super colorful scrappy wonder - I really really like this one. It has such a vintage vibe that goes way beyond the reproduction fabrics. Well done!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

The hatchet blocks have so many great layout choices, and I love this one! I think Streamers! :)

Julierose said...

Oh your 30's hatchet blocks are just so beautiful all together...I really love this...hugs, Julierose

Betty C said...

A Chip Off the Old Block. I love your quilt. A very attractive way to use those leftovers.

KB from Texas said...

I don't know where or how you come up with your scrap ideas... but I love them and wish I had a bit of your creativity.... thanksks for sharing

Nikki said...

Wow! That is an awesome layout!

Carla A Few Of My Favorite Things said...

Love this!!!!!

Linda said...

Definitely, call it Twist and Shout! Great idea to use up your scraps.

swooze said...

Ribbon Candy!

Nancy Near Philadelphia said...

This block is new to me and I like it a lot. This is a most unusual quilt and it dazzles.

Pamela Arbour said...

Great use of your scraps

gayle said...

Sure looks like party streamers to me! Everybody dance!

---"Love" said...

No matter what you call it, it's a stunner! This is Thursday night; now how many have you made this week? ---"Love"

Louise said...

What a fun layout for these blocks!

The Joyful Quilter said...

Yay!! Another new quilt top and a fresh supply of Bonus HSTs!!! :o))

Magpie Sue said...

Rick rack!

Dorothy said...

Love it :-)