Saturday, October 3, 2020

Odds and Ends


I'm thinking that this month's Rainbow Scrap Challenge (RSC) color must be yellow since that is the only one left on the list. I had these Double X and Snowballs cut out in red for last month but never got around to getting them sewn together.  So first thing this month I made those red blocks. 

I started making these in February 2019 after being inspired by a c. 1860 quilt.  I had a few minty green pieces (mistakenly bought for a fabric when I actually wanted a spring green) to use for background and I decided I would make blocks until I ran out of the background fabric.  Two years of making blocks from scraps in the RSC color of the month and I'm out of the background fabric. In fact I had to piece together the green for a couple of the Snowball blocks.  

After I made the red blocks and saw I was low on green background I figured out how many yellow blocks I would need in order to have enough blocks for a quilt. 

The blocks finish at 4 inches. I was originally hoping to have enough blocks for a quilt roughly 60 x 80 - 150 each of the Double X and Snowball blocks.  But that was not meant to be.  But I do now have enough for a respectable sized lap quilt 48 x 64 (12x16 layout - 96 of each block). 

So enough is enough of these blocks. Someday soon I can assemble the top.  





I also never got around to making red Dakota Farmer Star blocks last month so I made a few of those in red as well as...


...yellow. All are made from 2.5 inch scraps. 
    By year end I hope to have a set of these for that 60 x 80 quilt. 


 

22 comments:

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

The Dakota Farmer blocks are happy in yellow! Nice progress on your minty green project, too - I agree that will be a respectable size!

Linda said...

I love the Dakota Farmer star blocks. Such a good idea for RSC blocks.

maggie fellow said...

great progress and nearly done tops is a bonus

Gretchen Weaver said...

The double X and snowball blocks look so nice together, what a great quilt idea! The Dakota Farmer blocks are so nice and scrappy. I look forward to seeing how all the blocks come together. Happy stitching!

Chantal said...

Great progress on many fronts. Love the fabric in the yellow Farmer's Star. So cute! ;^)

Deb A said...

Woo Hoo on enough blocks to finish off a quilt! The farmer blocks look great as well.

grammajudyb said...

Dakota Farmer star blocks are so cool. I went looking for yellows yesterday. My scraps are nearly depleted and now I’ll have to cut into the chunk bin! Golds, on the other hand, are over abundant!

Auntie Em said...

You have so many cute yellow fabrics. They look great together.

Nann said...

Those are petite X and snowball blocks! The mint green shouldn't go with the reds and yellows but in your hands of course it does.

Cathy said...

Hey, it might be a smaller quilt, but your snowballs and double crosses will be just as mighty. And I still love that Dakota Farmer block. It’s so basic, and I have a butt-ton of 2.5” squares. On the list it goes!

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

I think little 4" blocks will look better in a smaller quilt anyway. I love your red Dakota Farmer Star blocks.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

those double x blocks are really interesting!!

---"Love" said...

You have done it again; make that you've done it again several times! They all look great. I'm wondering again --- do you ever cut into any 'new' fabric? :) ---"Love"

Sylvia@Treadlestitches said...

It is always a joy to read your posts and see all the happy scrappy blocks! Congrats on getting those gorgeous little double x and snowballs ready to assemble into a top.

Jenny said...

You are always so busy making lots of blocks each month. I espe ially love the four patch stars, so pretty.



Nancy Near Philadelphia said...

Loving them greens.

Louise said...

Minty green is such a great background color! Fresh and interesting :)

Home Sewn By Us said...

Hi Cathy! Ooh, I love your Dakota Star blocks. I hope to join the RSC next year and have been mentally auditioning blocks. The Dakota Star has just moved to the top of the list. Thanks for the inspiration. ~smile~ Roseanne

Katie Z. said...

You’ve been busy! Good work.

SandyPA said...

Cathy, I've been watching you create blocks with this minty green RSC quilt. It's actually the double X blocks that fascinate me. I don't know why. Can't wait to see the blocks assembled! Sandy at sewhigh.blogspot.com

gayle said...

I've loved those teeny double X's since you first started making them! (And am still flabbergasted that they're only 4" blocks!) Can't wait to see the final quilt!
And those Dakota Farmer Stars are now calling my name. Love yours!

The Joyful Quilter said...

Love, love, LOVE those Dakota Farmer Stars!!!