Sunday, October 18, 2020

Tales From The Backside: Backstories.


A Tale From The Backside

I made a flimsy
and I call it 
Backstories. 
63 x 81

I called it backstories because it is made from...




...a box of quilt BACK trimmings. And all those BACK trimmings all remind me of the STORIES of finished quilts. BACKSTORIES. 

I saw a quilt called Second Strings at Timeless Reflections and I just knew it was the perfect way to use my box of eclectic quilt back trimmings (greater than 2 inches in width) that has been accumulating for quite awhile. If I studied a picture of the quilt long enough I probably could have figured out the math on how to make it myself but I wanted to get this top made quickly before I forgot about it and while I had the urge so I ordered the digital pattern called Interweave  so I wouldn't have think much -- just cut and sew. 

When I downloaded the Interweave pattern I saw it was supposed to make a quilt that finished at 65" x 71". I like to make my twin sized quilts at least 80 inches long so tried to decide how and where to add a little length...top, bottom or center?? Well, as I was trying to figure that out I happened to notice that the block size made with the pattern instructions would NOT make for a quilt 65" x 71" but a quilt 63" x 65" instead.  Hmmmmm....I had to do a little thinking and a little math and I finally decided to make an extra set of half length blocks to add to the center of the quilt. 

Well, I did make the top in a hurry like planned and I did enjoy the process and I do like the finished top. And I did use a lot, but not all, of the quilt back trimmings. Some of those remaining trimmings I'll cut into squares, scrappy binding or strips or skinnier strings for the skinny string box which is a separate box from the quilt backing trimmings box. 



 I thought before I blogged about the error with the pattern length as stated in the pattern  I should notify the author of the problem. That message and response through Etsy are as follows: 

Date: 3 days ago 09:33 EDT
Message:  I ordered the Interweave pattern a few days ago. I think there is something incorrect about your finished length of 71 inches. With the pieces in each block cut at 3 3/4 inches I think the finished block size is 10.5 x 32.5 so the length is more like 65 inches and not the 71 inches as you have listed in your pattern.

Date: 3 days ago 11:35 EDT
Karen Griska
Message: Thank you, Cathy. I'll take a look at that. I hope it didn't cause you a problem.
Best wishes,
Karen

And now you know the rest of the story. 
And so ends the tale from the backside.


More scrappy stories may be found at:

22 comments:

Yvonne said...

This is such a fun quilt!

Shelina (formerly known as Shasta) said...

I've seen two other quilts made with this pattern. It does result in a fun and interesting quilt. I am glad you found the error and notified the designer so the pattern can be updated. I

darlynn said...

Cathy, another winner! It reminds me of quilts from Gee Bend. Bought the pattern. Thanks
For anyone reading this, the pattern is a mere $5. Great price for fun quilt and support a fellow quilter.

The Joyful Quilter said...

So... You saw a pattern posted on the 8th and you have a completed quilt top on the 18th? Wow!! I can't even imagine...

Sylvia@Treadlestitches said...

Wow! I love everything about this--the title, the story, the scraps, and the quilt! Terrific!

Julierose said...

I love this one a lot!! It really is "zingy" looking;)))
hugs, Julierose

Quiltdivajulie said...

Terrific name and great stories - a fabulous combination! Well done, Cathy.

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

I love the look of this quilt and also enjoyed reading about it. I've been using leftover blocks for other quilt backings and finding it adds interest to them. I also read your last post with the array of yellow blocks. Very beautiful work!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

What a great use for leftover backing strips! I like the way the reds and pinks pop out. I hope the designer revises her measurements!

Linda said...

What a great idea to use up these quilt trimmings. Glad you spotted the problem with the pattern before it caused you a real difficulty. The pattern writer must have been grateful that you pointed out the error to her. Fabulous top, so man6 colours and fabrics to look at.

Linda @ kokaquilts said...

A wonderful scrappy delight, and such a good way to use up some of those backing fabrics!

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

This quilt is a riot of color...I love it! It is a great way to use up those long strips. I will have to try and file it away in my mind palace :)

Thanks for sharing with Oh Scrap!

Mystic Quilter said...

Wow Cathy, I love this quilt!! It's just bursting with colour and then you have the perfect name for it! I have a feeling I might be ordering from Karen later!

Laura said...

What a great scrappy quilt! Full of color, and lots to look at!

How nice of you to write the pattern designer, instead of just posting a rant! I am sure that she appreciated the courtesy! :)

Louise said...

Fun and bright! And after you bought the pattern you still had to do the quilt math anyway. Your puzzlement should help the next person, though. Now I'm curious why trimmings from backings go into a different bin rather than get cut into your standard widths? There must be a story there :)

Pamela Arbour said...

Love your story. Thanks for taking the time to put it all together. Maybe I just like darker colors but I like your quilt better than your inspiration, but I think I probably say that every time you post your inspiration and your quilt!

Andee Neff said...

Stunning to look at with all the darks!

Nann said...

Oh, wow -- the randomness is awesome! Glad you could work around the error.

Carol E. said...

Great quilt. I love it. Cute name, too.

Ann said...

A good quilt and a cute story. I think I've made several quilts in a similar style - 2x4" logs. Aren't we having fun using up old fabric. Your idea to keep skinny strips separate is something I need to consider.

Kathy S. said...

I love the name of the quilt. I also love how you added to the middle. I rarely add to the middle... Luckily you're awesome at math to be able to figure out the pattern quickly and alter it.

Unknown said...

I love this scrappy quilt! What a great idea to use all backing scraps! (purrfection8@gmail.com)