Wednesday, October 14, 2020

I Think I Remember Now Why This Is A UFO

I just made this block #6 out of the 25 necessary to finish this UFO. 
It is called Flashes of Brilliance by Pam Buda and can be found in the American Patchwork and Quilting October 2015 magazine. I love it because it is inspired by a vintage quilt. But for me it is complex to get all those diamonds properly matched up especially since it has been awhile since I've worked on these blocks. I had to rip and re-rip parts of this block until I got the matching up process worked out. The pattern instructions really don't give much advice on matching pieces up. But I'm figuring it out and I also think if I work on these a little more often I'll get the hang of it. 

I was thinking these were Lone Star blocks but they are not. The six individual wedges are called Sugar Loaf blocks and joined together they do form a star. I had never heard of the Sugar Loaf block before I saw it mentioned in the pattern instructions. Barbara Brachman blogged about the Sugar Loaf block so I learned a little more about it. 

Well, anyway, complex or not I think I'm going to make it my goal to make a block a week until there are 25. My UFO project box held five previously made blocks, some sewn together strip sets, some cut strip sets, some muslin triangles and the magazine with the pattern. 

And since I am really committed to moving this UFO forward I went ahead and selected fabrics for the remaining blocks and cut those strip sets. For those of you who ask if I ever cut into yardage well...surprise!... this is one of those times. 


 But of course I am left with some scraps now! Yipee! 

14 comments:

Angie said...

I have been saving that same pattern for "Someday". I've recently been thinking about attacking my French General collection to make those blocks. If I don't get distracted by something else!

Anonymous said...

Your purple block looks great! For me, heavily starching the fabric before cutting helps with stretch and accuracy. By the way, the title of your blog post made me laugh—much appreciated in these stressful times.

The Joyful Quilter said...

Best of luck on attaining your goal, Cathy!!

---"Love" said...

I can see why you would remember why you put those blocks in the UFO pile! That's a lot of points to match -- over and over! But it is a beautiful block, and you've done it quite well! It will be a beautiful quilt when you get it together. Don't give up in the meantime. ---"Love"

MissPat said...

I always get into trouble sewing diamond units together. I have at least two UFOs involving them. But you've cut the fabric, so I guess you'll stick to it now. And, hey, more scraps to play with.
Pat

Cathy said...

I do appreciate the complexity of the block and the beauty of your finished star. But knowing myself as I do, I know I could never sew it skill-wise or patience-wise. In fact, the thought of having to sew one of those blocks makes me shudder. But I’ll be right here cheering you on because I know it’s going to be another masterpiece for you!

Pamela Arbour said...

Looking at the magazine picture, I can see why you wanted to make it. You have a good start on it. I love the block you showed. Keep us posted. Once you get the hang of it you might just whip that thing out in no time!

Julie in GA said...

The quilt photo in the magazine is incredible, and I can see why you would want to make that quilt. I love your purple block with the color gradation. I know that you will plug away at this and end up with a gorgeous quilt!

sue s said...

Wow, that is pretty complex. But it will be great when it's done! Good luck!

Louise said...

I can see the appeal of this complex and unusual block! Lots of other neat combos in the Brachman article, too. Glad to see you've committed firmly to finishing this one :)

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

If it makes Cathy shudder I'm pretty sure it's beyond MY skill level. But it is such a pretty block!! Maybe if I close the door to my sewing room? We'll see. I think I have that magazine.
xx, Carol

gayle said...

And there you are on the road to another gorgeous quilt!
(And I'm so glad you have more scraps now - I was worried you'd run out!)

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

it dies look like a very complex block - but a block a week will make a gorgeous quilt!!!

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

I was drawn to this pattern too. But I am not sure I have the patience to finish enough blocks for a quilt. Maybe I will just enjoy your progress.