Thursday, October 8, 2020

It's a Finish! Trail Mix




I'm in finishing mode!
It's a finish!
72 x 90

Trail Mix is a pattern by Mabeth Oxendreider. I found it in a booklet I picked up at a library book sale a long time ago - Better Homes & Gardens Quilt Lovers Favorites. It is now a free online pattern at American Patchwork & Quilting. .  It makes a very large quilt so I left the borders off of mine. 



I started Trail Mix in 2014 to use a collection of fall fabrics I picked up over the years every time those fall fabrics went on sale.  I thought the yellow "trail" through the quilt would be like a trail through the autumn woods. 

You probably know I usually sew blocks together randomly so sewing these blocks in proper order was the most difficult part of making this quilt that has a variety of different blocks. 

I finished the top in 2019 so there was quite a span of years in between start in September 2014 and finish.  I retired in March 2017 and have been trying to finish old UFOs since then. Autumn seemed like a good time to finish up this quilt. 


I quilted leaves in tan thread on my sewing machine (DSM).  I actually had a variety of leftover bindings in Autumn colors to use for a scrappy binding. 


 For this one I used a wide backing. 

And on to the next! 
(I've actually got one quilted and am hand sewing the binding tonight...maybe...and I have another half quilted on the sewing machine. Then I think I need to piece some backings). 

25 comments:

Anorina @SameliasMum said...

Wow, what a beauty. Well done on your perseverance and having a fabulous quilt finish (and just in time for the season).

Kimberly Smith said...

So pretty! And imho perfect color placement with the small, light-colored four-patches -- they really make the whole composition sing together!

Quilting Babcia said...

This is a beautiful finish! Congratulations on yet another, and it matters not how long the entire project took!

Julierose said...

This is really lovely...what a great finish...hugs, Julierose

sue s said...

I would have thought those blocks had a random placement, but I guess not, hm?! Looks great and the yellow "paths" are a good idea.

---"Love" said...

That must have been quite a challenge getting all those little light blocks into those rows! It truly is a masterpiece! ---"Love"

Libby in TN said...

I have several friends who have made Trail Mix, some even more than one. I just never caught the bug, tho I think it is lovely.

gayle said...

Wow, you're just a finishing juggernaut lately!
I love this quilt! I've got it on my to-do list, but there are a lot of quilts ahead of it. (Most of them inspired by you, by the way!)

MissPat said...

Gorgeous and looking very seasonal.
Pat

The Joyful Quilter said...

I can't express how much I love this quilt. It's SEW much better than the pattern "cover quilt!!"

Linda said...

Congratulations on finishing another UFO. This is a fabulous quilt, perfect for autumn, very warm and welcoming. The yellow trail thought the autumn colour shows up perfectly.

Kleine Vingers said...

What a lovely quilt, I like the warm autumn colours

Zenia Rene said...

Congrats on your fantastic finish! Love the idea of scrappy binding too!

Lakegaldonna said...

Love it! I saw this quilt at my quilt guild annual show last September. I sought out the maker at the end of the show to tell her how much I loved it. In the mail the following week I got her pattern! Quilters are so generous.
I did start it this year. I thought I'd do a few blocks as time permitted in between other projects. Well, no way. I had to finish making the blocks and the top. Finished the top in June. Just got it to the longarm quilter a couple weeks ago and have it back now. Have to finish some other things before I bind it.
Your colors are brilliant! I can't believe you quilted that monster on your DSM!!! Such patience.

Elizabeth V Kelbaugh said...

Fabulous scrappy goodness! Great job. Thanks for sharing your finish and the link for the free pattern.

Teresa said...

Its a beauty and an inspiration.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

This is an AWESOME finish!! I love all those colors in it, and the chain running thru -too cool!

grammajudyb said...

Trail Mix is beautiful! I love that your fabrics are not the just traditional orange, gold, and brown! There’s burgundy, navy! Purple and green! It’s awesome, Cathy!

Pamela Arbour said...

You did an awesome job on this one! as always!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Love the rich, fall colors in Trail Mix, Cathy! The trail through the quilt is a really unique feature, too. I bet it was a bit tricky to keep track of where everything went, but you did it!

darlynn said...

fabulous job! love it

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

This reminds me of a Mary Ellen Hopkins booklet quilt that I have always wanted to make. I love any quilt with the trailing diagonals throughout. Your fabric selection for it is great and it is so striking.

Louise said...

Two roads diverged in a yellow wood. Or two yellow roads diverged in a wood. In either case, you chose the best path for this quilt. It's a beauty! :)

Mystic Quilter said...

Fantastic - loaded with colour!

Unknown said...

Your quilt is wonderful! It really does look like fall. Whenever I see this quilt design online, I really love it, and your colors are beautiful. Sharon @ purrfection8@gmail.com