Wednesday, October 30, 2019

You're Just Too Good To Be True. Can't Take My Eyes Off Of You.



Love at First Sight
A Flimsy
74  x 82

It was inspired by a vintage quilt. 







The vintage quilt is on the left and my version is on the right. 

Back in October of last year Sally who blogs at The Objects of Design posted a partial photo of a log cabin quilt made in 1890 that was displayed at the Pacific International Quilt Festival. My comment on that post was "I can't take my eyes off that log cabin."  It was definitely love at first sight. 


Sally posted that the quilt was part of a collection held by the San Jose Museum of Quilts and Textiles. Recently I did a search at the Museum website to see if I could track down a larger picture of the log cabin quilt and further info on size.  My search revealed the size is 71 x 82 and it contains 72 blocks. 


I studied and studied the photos of the vintage quilt and set about making my own version. I found there were two slightly different blocks used by the original maker. I wasn't sure if it would make much difference to the overall look but I made blocks like the original maker. I used my scraps and scraps from a couple of kind and generous quilty friends cut at one inch width.  The center nine patches finished at 3 inches. 


 You're just too good to be true...
 ...Can't take my eyes off of you...
You'd be like heaven to touch. 
I want to hold you so much. 


25 comments:

Brenda said...

Just WOW!

Ellen said...

It's wonderful Cathy!

Podunk Pretties said...

....You'd be like heaven to touch
I want to hold you so much....

sigh...showing my age a little bit. Actually that song is older than I but my daddy taught me well. Love your quilt, that was the perfect song.

Julierose said...

Oh this is just simply lovely...nice work hugs, Julierose

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

That's a beautiful quilt! I love all the red and white, the nine patch centers, and the unique layout. I also enjoy seeing how you study the vintage quilts and figure out how to recreate them!

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Wow wow wow!!! I love it!

---"Love" said...

What an unusual, but beautiful setting for those log cabin blocks! (I love that old song too!) ---"Love"

Louise said...

Very cool! The two blocks must be quite subtle in their differences because I can't pick it out. Does it have to do with whether the first dark round is black or red?

audrey said...

Wow Cathy! This turned out fabulously! Wonderful, wonderful interpretation.:)

Elizabeth V Kelbaugh said...

Great job! It is an interesting setting of log cabin blocks so I see why you love it.

Cathy said...

Pardon the way that I stare, there’s nothing else to compare! What a glorious quilt! Congrats on a super finish!

Quiltdivajulie said...

Oh, wow! I really really hope you are keeping this one for yourself. It is stunning!!!

Janice Holton said...

Fantastic!! How in the world are you able to have so many finishes???? You are a quilting machine! I just love this quilt. I've been quilting for three years and a log cabin has always been on my list to make and I am finally starting one this week. Gotta use up those civil war fabrics. But I'll stick with a basic barn raising this go round. I really do love this one though!

Quilting Babcia said...

Oh that is simply gorgeous!

Quilter Kathy said...

Wow that is cool! Great job on reproducing a fascinating pattern... i can't stop looking at it!
And no... I'm not making one!

Linda said...

What a stunning quilt! You were very clever to track down the full quilt picture from the Museum and then work out how to make the blocks. The result is an amazing quilt, your chosen colours show the pattern up more than the original - the quilt really makes a statement and deserves its great title. 😊

Jeanne said...

Well done!!!

Shelina (formerly known as Shasta) said...

Wow this is gorgeous! I can't tell see the different two blocks either.

SandyPA said...

Your version of this quilt is spectacular! And I giggled at your quilt title which made me hum that great tune. Sandy at sewhigh.blogspot.com

gayle said...

That is the perfect song for that quilt!
LOVE it!!!

purrfection8@gmail.com said...

I love log cabins and I really love your version of this quilt!

Angie said...

Beautiful!
Any thoughts on how you'll quilt it? Wool batting or cotton? :-)

Emily said...

Absolutely stunning!!! I can't take my eyes off it, either! (Couldn't come up with a good way to incorporate the song lyrics, but hopefully the fact that it will be in my head all morning will suffice instead!)

Sally Trude said...

Holy smokes...I barely got out of that rabbit hole alive. And what a gorgeous quilt...and thanks for reminding me of it. Some of us only have short term memory when it comes to our love affairs...

Ann said...

Congratulations on a gorgeous finish. Nine patches make a great center and I love the alternating light red and white against dark red and black. The stripes and plaids add to the appeal. Red is the perfect choice for binding. I can't believe you hand quilted it so quickly. I hope you are keeping this one unless you are sending it to me. ;-)