Saturday, October 5, 2019

Some Rainbow Scrap Challenge (RSC) Projects

 This is the month to use dark neutral scraps in the Rainbow Scrap Challenge (RSC) projects. 

I dug into the 2.5 inch scraps and made some Garlic Knots (traditional block name Arrowhead Puzzle). 
 Now I have 90 blocks if I counted correctly and can begin quilt top assembly. I am thinking I will make a quilt 8 x11 blocks that will measure 64 x 88.   That means this is one RSC project that will not have to continue into next year. 
 But I still have a couple of other RSC projects that use 2.5 inch scraps that I haven't worked on at all this year. I am going to count my six inch Plus blocks and then decide what I want to do with them in order to move this project forward.  I may or may not continue on with these as a project using 2.5 inch scraps. 
 Another project using 2.5 inch scraps that I have neglected this year is Sprouts.  I need to count these up and decide if  I have enough for the layout I envisioned and if not I will try to make enough additional blocks and get a top made by year end. 

 These little 3 inch Churn Dashes are a new RSC project I will be making from 2.5 inch scraps.  When I tried a few blocks last month with purple scraps I used scraps about 6.5-7 inches long and cut one inch off the width to be used for the side pieces and with the remaining 1.5 inch piece I used the Easy Angle ruler to cut HSTs. 
 I'm thinking that eventually I will combine them with some little 3 inch nine patches because I have a whole bin of those already made. 

After I finished assessing projects that use 2.5 inch scraps I turned my attention to the 1.5 inch scrap bin.  I've been making little 3 inch finished rail blocks from 1.5 inch scraps for a couple of years. After I made these dark neutrals I found I finally have 900 or so of them...

...and will begin assembling a quilt top. 

But I still have some 1.5 inch scraps so I tried a new block called Rocky Glen.  The block takes four different fabrics so I was thinking I will make blocks in secondary colors and primary colors. So if the RSC color is a secondary color like purple I will use two purple scraps, an orange scrap and a  green scrap.  If it is a primary color like red I will use two red scraps, a yellow scrap and a blue scrap.  These blocks finish at 7.5 inches.   The 1.5 inch scrap bin is running a little low so if I don't have 1.5 inch scraps to make these blocks I will cut from scrap chunks.   

In the meantime I want to clean out the 1.5 inch scrap bin this year so will cut any scrap in the RSC color left in the scrap bin after I make blocks into 1.5 inch squares to be used at a later date.   So that means at the end of 2020 I hope to have an empty 1.5 inch scrap bin. 



17 comments:

grammajudyb said...

As always, you amaze me! I sometimes, this week, find myself paralyzed by the scraps in my space! I can’t decide what to do, so end up doing nothing. There probably a mental health term for that! 😂
I think I may settle on just making rail blocks or 4 patches with no goal in sight!

Cathy said...

Oh my, that is a gorgeous block. I’m not sure what I love most; the pattern, your colors, or the combination of both. That is just stunning! Insert all the heart eyes here!!!

Julie in GA said...

So many beautiful blocks! It's amazing what gorgeous quilts can be produced from such simple designs. I especially love the Churn Dash/9Patch combination.

Linda said...

I’m just trying to imagine all those blocks tucked away in bins waiting for their turn to be made into quilts. Your productivity always amazes me!

Chantal said...

Lots of gorgeous blocks/projects going on in your studio. Lovely fabric all over this post. Hmmm. I just got the urge to sew. ;^)

gayle said...

Look at all the fun happening in your sewing room!
I loved making the 3" Churn Dashes for Long Time Gone and always thought I should make a quilt with them. That may happen yet!
And I can't wait to see what you do with those Rocky Glen blocks!
(If my 1.5" bin was ever empty, I'd panic and start slashing every piece of fabric I have into 1.5" strips!)

Mari said...

Looks like you have used up a lot of scraps this year! 90 garlic knots is quite something. They're all going to be lovely quilts.

MissPat said...

All those little pieces are adding up. 900 rail blocks? Linda at Kokaquilts just made a churn dash/nine patch quilt using lovely florals and very shimmering solids. Looks totally different than your combo. Garlic knots are kind of growing on me. I didn't really like them when Bonnie Hunter started them. I may to make a few to see if I like them. Not that I need any more projects with little pieces.
Pat

Sylvia@Treadlestitches said...

Your use of scraps is absolutely amazing! There will be some terrific quilts coming out of these blocks.

Pamela Arbour said...

You really have a good plan. Thanks for sharing all your plans. I don't think I will ever get that organized.

Louise said...

Rocky Glen is a neat block! And I like the idea of primaries vs secondaries in there. You have a nice mix of more ambitious blocks and really simple ones, chugging along each month :)

The Joyful Quilter said...

Have fun setting those Garlic Knots into a top!!

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

I am hoping to get a count on my RSC block's today so I can decide what I am going to continue into next year. I might also start deciding what new projects I will add. That is always fun!

I am not sure I have ever seen an empty scrap bin :)

Mary Marcotte said...

I love seeing that you're making the garlic knots blocks. It's going to make a fabulous quilt and I can't wait to see the top. You have many projects going so it's a good thing that you're so organized.

Ann said...

I have more unfinished projects than I can to admit but I can't believe how you can keep these all moving forward. Great ways to make quilts for kids and others. Inspiring. Keep it up.

Alison V. said...

What a lovely bunch of scrappy blocks!

Quilter Kathy said...

I neglected my sprouts this year too! It's because I didn't have many 2.5" scraps to deal with!