Saturday, October 12, 2019

More Rainbow Scrap Challenge Projects


 This week I worked with 2 inch scraps in dark neutrals.  I've been making these Sixteen Patch blocks that will finish at six inches all year long and so far I don't have that many blocks. I think that is mainly because I don't have a lot of longer scraps in 2 inch width. 
 I counted 48 blocks and if my target is a 10 x 13 layout (60 x 78 inches) then I need 130 blocks total and since I don't have half that amount of blocks after a year I can either continue into another year and wait for scraps to happen, I can make the blocks a lot scrappier, or maybe I can combine them with another block. Hey, I've been making Broken Dishes blocks for awhile. I wonder how they will look as an alternate block. 

Looks good to me.  So, I now just have to make 17 more Sixteen Patches and I'll have blocks enough to start assembling a top.  I'll make those Sixteen Patches from scrap chunks.  And this RSC project will not have to continue into next year. 

Another block I've been making from 2 inch scraps is called Wedding Ring and finishes at 7.5 inches. 


 In case you are wondering how I piece blocks...I stack the pieces on top of each other and then...

 ...do lots of chain piecing. I often have piles of blocks behind my sewing machine with the rows pieced waiting for the rows to be sewn together at another sewing session. 

I took a count of these blocks and found I have 43 of them. A 12 x 12 layout (90 x 90 inches) will require 144 blocks so this project will continue into the next year and if I don't have scraps in the 2 inch scrap bin in the color of the month I will cut pieces  from scrap chunks. 

 These houses also come out of the 2 inch scrap bin. Next year I may cut the 2  x 2.5 house pieces from 2.5 inch scraps and still use 2 inch scraps for the roof and low volume backgrounds. These finish at 3 inches and I need about 200 more. 

 Another project that I have neglected this year that uses 2 inch scraps and waste triangles is Wonky Stars. I'll probably work on those next year. When I started making them I didn't even have a 2 inch scrap bin so I kind of forgot about them. 
And speaking of 2 inch scrap bin...it is a 16 quart container and it looks like this now. In the new year after  I finish making Wedding Ring blocks and Wonky Stars I will cut any remaining scraps of that color into 2 inch squares and eventually will make a 100 Patch Quilt. 

11 comments:

Connie said...

You amaze me! You quilts have so many complexly interrelating parts, each block a puzzle. They are absolutely gorgeous and each a true treasure.

Cathy said...

Wow, I don’t know how you keep so many plates spinning! I have to keep a spreadsheet for my several projects, but I’d have to add a zero to the end of mine to come close to how many you manage. And they’re all so clever to boot! I think you’re crazy (benignly, lovingly so) for attempting those 100-patch blocks, but I say that only from knowing what mine would look like (insert *shudder* here). xo

Linda said...

I just have to agree with both Connie and Cathy! Your brain must be super sharp to even think of all these ideas, let alone put them into practice and remember them all. Love them all. I do like the 9 patches alternated with the Broken Dishes Blocks.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Your Wedding Ring blocks are always a favorite of mine to see! Also the little houses! Glad you found a way to combine two sets of blocks into a quilt, too.

Chantal said...

I really like 16 Patch with Broken Dishes. It makes an interesting duo. I love your Wedding Ring. I love that block. You are obviously very organized to have to many WIPs. Enjoy the insanity of it all. ;^)

Julie in GA said...

So many amazingly beautiful scrappy blocks! I think my favorites today are the Wedding Ring blocks, but it's a tough choice.

The Joyful Quilter said...

Love, love, LOVE those Wedding Rings in BROWN and GRAY (and the BLACK houses, too!!!)

maggie fellow said...

all your projects are fun and inspirational. I just saw an antique wedding ring quilt today and thought I need to make that.

Quilter Kathy said...

That is a lot of fun projects on the go! My favourite is the house collection!

Susie H said...

Wow! What a multitude of small blocks. They are all cute, of course, but now you need so many. Perfect excuse to have to sit and sew some more. Haha! The wedding blocks are very pretty -- at least they have a little size on them!

gayle said...

You've brought all my favorites out to play! (Though I admit that ALL your blocks are my favorites)