Monday, October 14, 2019

Now That I Have Several New Starts Out of My System...


 Tested out a 12 inch Kansas Troubles block that was inspired by...
...a vintage quilt. 

Yes, I'll make more blocks in red, white and blue. 






No Tula Pink fabrics here but I do have a few Kaffe Fassett fabrics I intend to use.  I think it takes longer to cut the pieces than it does to make the quilt. I figured out what solids I am going to use and in what order but will randomly sew the "mountains" in each row as I go.  Cut some, sew some, cut some, sew some...

 I've been wondering what to do with some grape and wine themed fabrics. 

I found a block called Grape Basket in my Ladies' Art Company Block Tool. 


I tried a 15 inch block using grape themed fabric as the background and brown and red as the basket.  Then I made a few more blocks...





 Since they are large blocks I won't need to make that many. I decided all baskets will be brown and either red, purple or green (like grapes) and the backgrounds will be grape themed fabrics. 

Ok. Now that I have several new starts out of my system I'm going to have a quilting marathon. I want to finish a few quilts from yesterday's list. 





13 comments:

cityquilter grace said...

love the RWB block...that's gonna be gorgeous! must be the weather change...i've also had a few new starts...it's just too fun not to!

Libby in TN said...

I've been collecting grape fabric, too. Thinking I'd make table runners or bottle bags. This block would be great to incorporate in them somewhere.

mangozz said...

I've always loved basket blocks and I was recently considering a delectable mountains block. What keeps me from starting is usually that I can't decide on which fabric combinations to use. I really love your Tabby Mountain colors.

Quilter Kathy said...

Uh oh... you have a case of startitis!!

Linda said...

Well you certainly don’t let the grass grow under your feet! Two new quilts started. Enjoy treading those grapes.
So, how many quilts do you intend to finish in your Quilting Marathon?

Ann said...

The striped background for your Kansas Troubles is delightful. I remember making those blocks with stripes and plaids, too. Years ago. I've no idea where they went so it will be even more fun to watch yours develop into a quilt.
And two more in completely different styles. You are always busy.

Pamela Arbour said...

You must have a huge fabric stash. Scrap quilts are my favorite so I love seeing yours. Can't wait to see your interpretation of your latest vintage quilt.

Julierose said...

The Kansas Troubles block is beautiful!! Love how they look all together on the vintage quilt nice choice hugs, Julierose

Louise said...

I really like the Kansas Troubles block! And I think it's time to invest in a Block Tool. Seems like an excellent resource.

Quiltdivajulie said...

Thanks for the link to Tabby Mountain. That one (or a variation of it) just might appear in my studio next year. Your other starts are going to be marvelous - especially that first one!

audrey said...

Oh yes. That vintage quilt deserves an interpretation! Gonna be lovely!

Cynthia@wabi-sabi-quilts said...

Love that vintage Kansas troubles. It's always fun to start new projects. Nice colorful basket blocks with a fun theme!

SandyPA said...

Want another new project? Make an Endless Chain quilt with me. http://mapleleafquilters.ca/blog2/wordpress-content/uploads/2014/01/Endless-Chain-pattern.pdf