Sunday, October 20, 2019

A Bo(w)dacious Finish

 It's a finish!
54 x 63

Quilts Beyond Borders (QBB) has received a request from the Forgotten People of the Navajo Nation for 500 - 700 quilts for teenagers and elderly.  I normally make QBB quilts 40 x 60 but they mentioned they would take some a little larger for this initiative. This is #1 of 3 quilts in odd sizes I have recently finished for this initiative. 

Note If you are interested in joining an online group of charity quilters that supports Quilts Beyond Borders as well as other charities then Sunshine Online Quilt Guild is the place for you. 

 These are nine inch Double Bow Tie blocks I swapped long long ago - old florals on cream. 
 Back when postage was a lot cheaper I participated in a lot of online swaps. That way I could buy one fabric and make several blocks and get a variety of blocks in other fabrics in return. Plus it was fun to receive an envelope of blocks in the mail.  Well, back then I didn't really have the time or the money for backing and batting to finish quilts so...I have lots of baggies of swapped blocks I've been trying to get made into quilts since I retired a couple of years ago. 

I only had to make four more blocks for this quilt. 
 And speaking of backings...a quilty friend sent me this Double Wedding Ring cheater fabric and I thought it would be a perfect backing for those Double Bow Ties - double the fun, huh? 

I pieced the batting for this one. I use wide zig zag to piece battings. 

I quilted some leaves on the diagonal in the cream spaces and I quilted a daisy chain on the diagonal some three petaled flowers in the bow ties. And that binding is a piece of leftover fabric from some kitchen curtains I made back in the early 80s.  I had almost enough to go around but had to add in some cream fabric. 

And that's a bo(w)dacious finish! 


for


And finally...I've had several comments lately from "no-reply" bloggers. I'd like to send you a thank you for your kind comments; however, I have no way to do so since I don't have your email.  So if you don't receive an email reply from me then please know I am thankful for the time you took to leave a comment.  If you would like a reply then please leave your email addy in the comment or search for how to change your settings so you are no longer a "no-reply" blogger.  


8 comments:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

one can never go wrong with a bow tie quilt

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

That double bowtie block makes a really neat pattern! Great finish and for a wonderful cause,too, Cathy!

The Joyful Quilter said...

I don't recall seeing this Double Bow Tie pattern before. Very unusual!! It made foe a really interesting quilt. SEW kind of you to donate your work.

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

Ha! I thought you had whipped out a double wedding ring quilt last week.

That is the first time I have seen that double bowtie block. I like it. Thanks for sharing with Oh Scrap!

LoraLee said...

Beautiful work, beautiful heart ❤️

Louise said...

Having those blocks on hand really makes for quick finishes. That's really great when the call for quilts comes! :)

Marly said...

I really like the double bow tie block and you've made a lovely quilt with it. It almost makes me want to continue making bow-tie blocks!

Quilter Kathy said...

Such a great pattern... I've never seen a double bow tie before!