Saturday, August 17, 2024

This And That And Then Some

Orange is the Rainbow Scrap Challenge (RSC) color of the month so I have been mostly working with orange scraps but at times a few other colors of scraps snuck in. 

Cheerios
10 inch blocks
I've been making these blocks from 4.5 inch and 2.5 inch scraps. At times I've had 4 squares in each size in my squares bin to use to make the blocks. 



Wonky Stars
4.5 inch
I've been making the Cheerios with "flippy corners". The cut off pieces are being used in little 4.5 inch Wonky Stars. I cut squares for the blocks from scraps when I can and kit them up with the star points to make them as leader/enders


8 Patches
8 inch 
While I was in the 2.5 inch scraps I made some of these blocks. They can also be made with 4.5 inch scraps. 

Twilight Flock
6 inches
The Flying Geese are made with 2.5 inch scraps with 1.5 inch black sides.

Windmills
4 inch

Last week I made the blocks with 1.5 inch scraps but this week I made them with 2.5 inch scraps. 

16 Patch
6 inch
Made with 2 inch width scraps. All blocks contain green plus another color. 


Coin Strips
3 inch wide made with 2 inch width scraps. 
Various lengths.

I have not been ironing these. I will iron them when I put the columns together. I have a box of them now so maybe I'll be able to make a quilt soon. 

4 Patches
3.5 inch unfinished
Each block contains black, white and one other color. I will alternate these with 3.5 inch solid squares. 

Shoofly
7.5 inch
Made with 4 inch width scraps. I have not had any blocks in process using 4 inch scraps. When sorting scraps I receive from others I've been throwing all strips this size into the box. It is now full so I am working on emptying it now. This is one of the blocks I'll be making to use those scraps. 

Broken Dishes
7 inch
Another block I'll be making with 4 inch width scraps. 


Crossroads
7 x 9
All blocks will have a brown cross with red center. The blocks will be made with 3.5 or 4.5 inch scraps.

And sew on...



***
CELEBRATE! (my word of the year)

August 16 - Lyrics from a  song by Rare Earth plays in my head:

I'm using up the time but feeling fine, every dayThat's why I'm telling you I just want to celebrateOh, yeah
I just want to celebrate another dayOh, I just want to celebrate another day of livin'I just want to celebrate another day of life
 

 

14 comments:

Sally Langston Warren said...

Oh my!!! You have started ELEVEN new quilts!! I love your use of scraps and frugal nature. This is what I have focused on since I started making quilts. It was the way my great aunts made quilts. Fancy quilts are nice, but not my cup of tea. I just don’t know how you keep everything so organized, not just the fabric scraps but how you keep things organized in your head. I am presently sorting through my entire sewing room. I had been stashing scraps, including strips I had cut to 2”, 2 1/2”, etc and clothes deconstructed that had been just stashed into baskets all mixed together. It’s been quite the challenge to get organized but am getting there. I look forward to having all my 2 1/2” pieces etc in one place and getting back to creating. I will never catch up to you, but what an inspiration!! Thank you!

Quiltdivajulie said...

LOVE seeing so many different kinds of blocks. And your photos of the 3" coins made with 2" strips gives me a marvelous idea for a stack of gifted 2" strips that I've been pondering over. THANK YOU!

Julierose said...

I just love those orange and peach cheerios blocks--great combo of colors...
You have SO MANY QIPS going on--I would be so overwhelmed by that many !! ;((((
I prefer 1 or 2 at the most!! But good for you...But I must admit that I do make paper journals too...so there's that going on...
and embroideries, too...All your WIPS are so neat, Cathy...very
inspiring...hugs, Julierose

The Joyful Quilter said...

Oh, to be a scrap sewing machine like you, Cathy! Congrats on working your way through so many ORANGE bits.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

I love seeing all your blocks - it's like a library of quilt blocks! Love the Cheerios blocks, and also the Twilight Flock. I bet your sewing room is a fun place to visit!

Gwyned Trefethen said...

It's fascinating how you take the scraps from one block pattern to use in your next block collection. That bold plaid cheerio - wow! Such fun.

Linda @ kokaquilts said...

Love a busy sewing room, you have some great projects underway! I’m one of those easily distracted quilters, happily sewing away, and then suddenly I can drop everything and cut out another project! In my defense, I do try & keep things written down, love a good tick list!

Jenny said...

You have had such a busy week, no surprises really. Lots of fun blocks, and I rather like the crossroads blocks.

Chantal said...

You have an amazing collection of blocks. How you keep them all in line amazes me. I would loose track of what's what. I spotted a few prints that are also present in my stash. Twilight Flock will make a terrific quilt. Enjoy! ;^)

Mystic Quilter said...

Oh my word such a colourful post Cathy! Blocks galore here for us to look at, the size of your tiny Twilight Flock blocks are amazing.

Pamela Arbour said...

Another fabulous post. The song goes perfect with your word of the year! Thanks for sharing. You sure did manage to use a lot of orange fabric this month. Do you use up all of the RSC color each month? Do you still have orange left?You are so organized and you also seem to get a lot of quilts finished. Amazing.

Sue said...

Wow! So much orange used up & such pretty blocks made. Love them. I'm intrigued by the B&W&color 4-patches & can't wait to see how they end up with the solids.

RyLynn said...

Love the wonky stars the most! Because I found your blog and it's plethora of inspiration, I have now almost finished cutting all my scrap into future use sizes. I feel much more peaceful and productive. I still have waaaaay too many tops (flimsies?) in progress and ideas swimming in my head, but all I need to do is check on your amazing progress and carry on with finally organized scraps!

Nann said...

Such scrappy goodness!