Saturday, August 31, 2024

Piece Work





Monkey Wrench
10 inch

I think the Rainbow Scrap Challenge (RSC) color(s) for September are black and brown. I have several quilts that need blocks with blacks and browns.   

In 2022 and 2023 I made Monkey Wrench blocks in three different sizes from scraps for donation quilts. I've finished dozens of quilts but still have a few piles of blocks that need more blocks before I can assemble a top.   One of those piles is a pile of black 10 inch blocks for a teen quilt 60 x 80 so I need 48 blocks total for a 6 x 8 layout.  I dug into my pile of black chunks and cut what 4.5 inch pieces I could in order to make the HSTs.   I have a little box of 2.5 inch scraps already cut and had enough black scrps for the rest of the Monkey Wrench pieces. 

Now I have a complete block set. Sometimes I put complete block sets in my SAR (Some Assembly Required) box but I think I'm going to try to assemble this top in September. 


Wonky Windmill
8 inch

And since I was working with the black 4.5 inch scraps I cut pieces that were long enough for two 4.5 x 5 rectangles to make more Wonky Windmill blocks for a teen sized Wonky Windmill quilt with pink and black windmills on gray backgrounds.  My goal is 32 pink and 31 black Windmills for a 7 x 9 (56 x 63 inch) layout. 

I've been making Windmill blocks from scraps for over a year and recently divided them up into piles for 4 different quilts. I've already assembled one top. 


Shoofly
10.5 inch
Made with 4 inch width scraps.

I have a small box of 4 inch width scraps and recently started making Shoofly blocks with the scraps that are long enough.  I pulled out any black and brown pieces and matched them up with other scraps in the box. I haven't decided upon size of quilt or number of blocks yet. My goal is to first see how many blocks I end up with from that box of 4 inch scraps. 


Broken Dishes
7 inch

Also made with scraps from the 4 inch scrap box that weren't long enough to make a Shoofly block.


And sew on...

****
CELEBRATE (my word of the year)

August 30 - There was a beautiful pink glow over the land because of a glorious pink sky at sunset. Looking through rose colored glasses....

 

11 comments:

Sara said...

Wow! You have made great use of your scraps again! I love those Windmills especially. Last year I did a couple of Windmill quilts for donation. Might be time for another.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

So fun to look at your black prints up close! You have some good ones!

Nann said...

That quilt's going to need a name, so I looked up "black monkeys." First thing that came up was "Black Howler." There you go!

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

That rosy sunset must have stretched along the Canadian front that was marching toward us. It was so much more intense than the photo I was able to capture.

Pat at Bell Creek Quilts said...

So many fun fabrics in your blocks! I even have some of your fabrics!

Jenny said...

Love those black blocks!

Jenny said...

PS. I saw a rosy glow over the beach sun rise at Ward Beach, all the way down here in New Zealand! Such a lovely sight to watch and admire.

Julierose said...

Great blocks--really love those wonky windmills !! Hugs, Julierose

Sue said...

You're ahead of the game with your black blocks. You should be able to finish up some donations next month as this rate. Good luck!

Pamela Arbour said...

You are really on a roll with that box of blocks! Fabulous work. I hope you are keeping count of how many blocks you were able to make out of that box of blocks. No pressure! LOL

Susie H said...

Great blocks! I'm not too sure about what the Sept RSC color is but I was leaning towards "darks" so your calling it black & brown agrees with me. The black fabric with the kitties really caught my eye in your Wonky Windmill! ;-)