Friday, August 30, 2024

WITB Top #1 - Complements

It's a top!
Complements
50 x 70

This one is made of four patches of 3 inch squares in complementary colors. 

I started on this one last year after someone gave me a big bag of 3 inch squares.   Since then I have received other 3 inch squares and 3 inch width strips in various lengths from other folks and I have been accumulating them all in a box. Normally I have a block going for every size scrap I encounter; however, I have really not ever generated many 3 inch width scraps of my own and in the past if I received some 3 inch width pieces I cut them in half for two 1.5 inch pieces because I usually have a lot of blocks in the works that use that size of scrap. When I received that gallon bag of 3 inch squares last year I decided to start making a few quilts with those scraps and start saving those scraps in a box instead of cutting them smaller.  


This is comfort quilt #1 ! 

Stay tuned! 

And sew on...


*****
CELEBRATE! (my word of the year)

August 27 - I received a box of orphan blocks, crumb blocks and fabric from Teresa. 

August 28 - With my Hy-Vee Grocery Store fuel saver card I saved $1.36 per gallon on gas. I only go grocery shopping twice a month and go on Mondays because if I spend over $45 on Mondays I automatically get 45 cents off per gallon. I even put gas in the lawn mower gas can. 

August 29 - I received a box of shirtings, homespuns and other plaids from Nann. That was the packing material for a couple of cute little ceramic items that had my city on it. Actually, I don't live in the city but live in the township so I guess it is actually my P.O. community/mailing city. But never mind...those little ceramics are cute little things. I may put dried flowers in them or some little fabric hearts/pocket prayers or they might make cute bases for pincushions.  What a lucky week I had - two surprise packages within a few days! 

I also made 8 pints of bread and butter pickles with my homegrown cucumbers and onions. 




8 comments:

Nann said...

A fun scrappy flimsy! Your pickles look delicious.

Quiltdivajulie said...

The 3" squares quilt looks wonderful - bright and colorful. Pickles look great, too.

Cherie Moore said...

Oh, the joy of unexpected packages! First, the arrival, then seeing what’s inside and then thinking of the possibilities for the contents:)

RyLynn said...

Oh my - I love this top. I call these small square quilts storybook quilts and they are my favorites. Can't wait to see what else you're making!!

Jenny said...

Another recipient of Nanns kindness.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Yum on the pickles! And I love your four patch flimsy, too. Such beautiful color!

Pamela Arbour said...

Oh my! What a wonderful gift of fabric and most of it was already cut for you! I am anxious to see how many quilts you get out of that box. This one turned out lovely. It looks very comforting. Oh my the bread and butter pickles. I haven't made those in a long time. Yum! Hurray for you on the gas. I don't think we have anything like that here. I just read a post from Melissa Corry and she was showing what she is doing with her 2-1/2 square leaders and enders and I thought of you. You two have motivated me to get to using up my fabrics. Thanks for the inspiration. You always inspire me but I guess I needed something to push me and get me started.

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

Mmm bread and butter pickles were my favorite as a kid! Your jars look fabulous and that flimsy was a great use of the three inch squares!