Saturday, August 24, 2024

A Few More Orange Scraps

Orange is the Rainbow Scrap Challenge (RSC) color of the month. I thought I had used up most of my orange scraps but more popped up. 

Sawtooth Stars
10 inch
These will be made with purple, green, orange scraps. 

Four Patch HSTs
5 inch

When I made the Flying Geese for the Sawtooth Stars I used an Easy Angle Companion ruler to cut the geese bodies from a 3 inch width strip.  I don't waste the first or last cuts on the strip. I cut an HST with the Easy Angle ruler.   I pair those HSTs up with a neutral and make HSTs. 

16 Patch
6 inch
All blocks alternate with green patches
and
coin strips
various lengths

Both blocks are made with 2 inch width scraps.
I hope to have enough blocks of both to make a top soon.

And sew on...


****
CELEBRATE! (my word of the year)

August 23 - I have a lot of vases. It has always been my goal to keep a few of those vases full of flowers during the growing season. A couple of years ago I cleared an area for a cutting garden and it has been a work in process ever since then. I started the cutting garden because I never wanted to leave a lot of empty spaces in my cottage garden if I cut flowers. And I have so much variety in my cottage garden so I never really had enough of any one flower to cut a big vase of flowers for the house. Well, this year (year 3) I haven't really had a vase of flowers in the house at all times; however, I have filled them quite a few times. Right now I am celebrating a vase full of Dinnerplate Dahlias. Hubby can't get out and about in the gardens so he gets to enjoy flowers now too.  Another one of my goals is to someday have lots of flowers for bouquets I can give to others.






 

5 comments:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I just cut a bouquet of zinnia's last night - I love cut flowers but sometimes they die fast

RyLynn said...

I love the coin strips - wonder what you'll do with them. Orange is not my favorite color but your mixing with purple and green makes it quite appealing. Cut flowers make a home feel fresh and joyful. I'm glad you have this happiness in your life.

Gwyned Trefethen said...

The first thing I spotted amongst your image was the fussy cut ring around the rosy square. Love it. Our home came with numerous plantings, but no cutting garden. Sigh. We do have Larkspur, hydrangea and iris, depending on the season. I've been known to cut a few for inside. Adds that perfect pop of color and splurge feeling to the home.

Jenny said...

That made me laugh, "more orange scraps popped up".

Pamela Arbour said...

That is so nice to be able to have a vase of flowers from your garden. I'm sure your husband enjoys them too. Love your orange blocks. I'm beginning to see how you are organized for scrap sewing. (I think). My grandmother had a similar method, but I don't think she had more than two quilts going at the same time. LOL