Saturday, August 3, 2024

Itty Bits

Bow Ties
3 inch
I have been making these for a few years as a Rainbow Scrap Challenge (RSC). My goal was 900 Bow Ties for a 30 x 30 layout. I have now (finally!) reached that goal.


Note that last Saturday Angela called dark neutrals as the RSC color for the month for August. So I started right away making blocks with my dark neutral scraps. Then she evidently changed her mind on Sunday to orange for August and dark neutrals for September  but I did not see that change until this morning so I'm going to maybe have a mix of dark neutrals and orange scraps throughout August and September. In addition I did not have many aqua scraps for July so was saving the few I did have to mix with August's color.   So anyway...for me the next two months of working on RSC blocks will have a mix of orange, aqua and dark neutrals. 

18 Patch
6 inch
I have been making these blocks only in browns and creams.  I'm aiming for 120 blocks for a 10 x 12 layout.

Most of my blocks this week were made with 1.5 inch width scraps. I have been fortunate lately to have a lot of folks send me scraps. I usually sort anything less than a 6 inch square into sizes by strip width and then I usually have a block in process that covers each width of strip. Anything more than a 6 inch square gets sorted by color.  

Boo Boo Patch
3 x 6
So called because I made a mistake when cutting my pieces. I meant for the strip sets to be cut into 2.5 inch pieces so I could make the 18 patch blocks in the previous photo.  That happened last year and I've been making Boo Boo Patches in all colors. Maybe I should count blocks now and see if I have enough for a quilt of any size. 

More Boo Boo Patches
3 x 6
Aqua scraps plus in recent scraps I received there were a few strip sets already made with a color and neutral so I cut them up to make blocks plus I had a 1.5 inch purple scrap sitting there after I made the recent Purple Poindexter orphan block top so it got made into a Boo Boo Patch right away. 

Switch Plates
3 x 5

I think I've been making these for a few years too. Maybe I should count them and decide upon quilt size. 

Windmills
4 inch

Maybe I should count these too! 

And sew on...



***
CELEBRATE! (my word of the year)

August 2 - I'm starting to see a lot of butterflies flitting from flower to flower in my gardens. They especially love the Zinnias.

 

14 comments:

Linda Swanekamp said...

All those pieces mean a lot of time under the needle! Great colors and collection. I have not seen many butterflies this year. I plant flowers they love, but they are not around, very sad. The butterfly is especially meaningful to me after the heart attack 6 years ago. They almost make me weep for joy. I have zinnias, coneflowers, swamp milkweed, butterfly weed, and coreopsis, but no butterflies this year.

Chantal said...

Amazing collection of blocks, all lovely. I laughed at the Band Aid plaster print. There's really a print of everything under the sun ... and beyond. Enjoy the butterfly season. ;^)

Nann said...

I'm still trying to comprehend 900 blocks.....

marilyn said...

While reading your blog, I keep wondering how you keep all this fabric straight. Must be very organized. My sewing room always looks like a tornado went through. I love all your quilts.

Sara said...

I have a mix of orange and darks this week too. And may just continue with that. You have a LOT of those little bowties! Lots of scrappy goodness happening at your house.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

It's all good - no matter what color of scraps we work with! 900 tiny bowties is amazing! What a quilt they will make. That's a beautiful photo of the butterfly on the zinnia, too.

RyLynn said...

All of these look like fun quilt options, but I like the switch plates and windmills the best! I love, love, love the leaves from yesterday the most of all.

Jenny said...

You have a lot of block sets on the go, but then, that's the way you like to work.

Linda @ kokaquilts said...

900 3" bowties - wow that's amazing! I did laugh a little when I spotted the batting behind your bowties... all covered in threads:)

Pamela Arbour said...

I think most of us are overwhelmed by the thought of 900 blocks! LOL So I tried to figure out how long it would take to make 900 of those little things. Making only 6 a day would get 900 in about 5 months. They are really tiny. I admire your patience and your eye for color, and of course, your ability to keep it organized to the completion. I love your work!

Susie H said...

So many types of blocks, so many of each type too! You are really cooking along and will probably have several finishes before the end of the year. Great job!

gayle said...

Who doesn't love a zinnia?

Pat at Bell Creek Quilts said...

I am always amazed at your variety of blocks you make!

mangozz said...

I love these kinds of scrap quilts! I've been thinking of doing bow ties myself with scraps I really need to get started on that. But all those seams to press on the back for 900 blocks! I really hate that part. Especially when assembling the whole top. I wish I had more space to get organized. It's so cramped trying to work in a small area and keep track of everything. That butterfly is really a beauty! I haven't seen many at all lately. Zinnias were one of my grandmother's favorite flowers. She always had a beautiful garden.