Saturday, August 10, 2024

Orange Itty Bits


Boo Boo Patches
(18 Patches)
3 x 6 inch

I didn't get much done on my Rainbow Scrap Challenge (RSC) blocks this week.  I just worked with some of the longer orange 1.5 inch width scraps in the orange scrap bag. 

Switch Plates
3 x 5 inch

I've been making both of these blocks from scraps for more than a year so maybe one of these days I should take count and figure out what size quilt I am making! 


****
CELEBRATE ! (My word of the year)

August 7 - I love wind chimes!  Over the years I've been given several wind chimes so I have them in all the gardens. My fav is the one my niece gave me in memory of my granddaughter Kayla who passed away a couple of years ago. On the clapper it says - "Listen to the wind and think of me. I am always with you."  It's been windy so I've been seranaded by thoughts of Kayla. 

August 8 - Oh what a beautiful morning! Oh what a beautiful day!  Oh gosh, has the weather been beautiful - cooler temps, less humid and breezy. I've been working outside a lot lately - weeding, cutting scrub brush, harvesting, deadheading, planting.  I even stopped to smell the roses a few times! 

August 9 - Lots to celebrate...

 For the last 3.5 years I have had an appt. with an opthamologist every six months because I am glaucoma suspect. I still don't have glaucoma and actually she said my eye pressure was better than normal and visual field test was good.  Oh, thank goodness! 

On my way home I saw sweet corn at a stand - a dozen for $4. A deal!  (The grocery store has been selling it for 3 ears for $4) And it was delicious! I plan to blanche and freeze half of it.   I haven't grown sweet corn for years. When it would be ready for harvest the raccoons would go through the patch and tear off the ears and take a bite out of each.  A couple of years of that and I said "never again"! 

I dropped two boxes of quilts (12 total) off at the UPS. I mailed them to a lady who is a coordinator for both Wrap-A-Smile and Quilts Beyond Borders. She will get them to the places where there is most need at this time.   That makes 54 quilts I have donated so far this year! 30 of the 54 went to a local foster care group - Fostering Crossroads.





 

16 comments:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

54 donation quilts - wow - congratulations that is a lot done

Pam said...

Wow! 54 quilts!!!

Chantal said...

I'm glad to hear the weather is nice where you are and you were able to enjoy it. We weren't so lucky around here. I love windchimes, especially does made of wood, but my husband ... not so much, so we have none.
Bless your generous heart: 54 quilts donated is an AWESOME achievement! And I know that you are not done yet. Enjoy! ;^)

Sara said...

Wow - that is a very big number of quilts going to folks in need. So generous of you. I stopped at a farm stand here on Thursday and bought local sweet corn. No comparison with what is in the store. It was so yummy!!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Love your itty bitty blocks in every color! And cooler days are a wonderful thing to be able to celebrate - we've had some of those here in Colorado, too. Local sweet corn - yum! Now I need some of that...

marilyn said...

You are so generous with your quilts. Think of all the people who will find comfort in your gift. I love wind chimes too. Just made a wind catcher out of long strips of fabric. I look forward to your blog

Julierose said...

Amazing count of 54 donated, Cathy. you will definitely get another star in your crown as my Grand-mere used to say;))))
Neat Bitty blocks...hugs, Julierose

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

That is 54 children with a little more hope in their lives. Your quilts are sure to be treasured.

Linda Swanekamp said...

Wow, Cathy, you are wonderwoman! Congratulations on the eye update. The eyes are incredibly precious. You inspire me all the time.

gayle said...

You're the most productive person I know! So many quilts, so much comfort and joy!

Quiltdivajulie said...

I love Wanda's comment and echo that sentiment. I keep thinking I want to play with the Boo Boo Patches idea but so far it remains just thoughts.

Nann said...

Your list of celebrations keeps growing! Yes, less humid and lots of sunshine lifts our spirits. The 54 donations are awesome. When you say Booboo patches I immediately think of Yogi's sidekick.

Cindy said...

Hey Cathy! You are the most prolific quilter I know!!!! I will never understand how you get so much done!!!!! Celebrate!!!! I am so inspired by your posts!

RyLynn said...

So many quilts, so many happy recipients. You are wonderful spreading so much care and joy. I love the switchplates. Looking forward to the finished quilt.

viridian said...

Go Cathy go! Lots of work, lots to be grateful for.

maggie fellow said...

congrats on donations and the glaucoma