Wednesday, August 7, 2024

A Wonky Windmill Top

 

It's a top!
Wonky Windmills
40 x 56

I started making these 8 inch (finished) blocks last year as a Rainbow Scrap Challenge (RSC) project.  I made blocks each month in the color of the month plus a gray background since I had quite a few gray bits and pieces to use up.  The blocks are made with 4.5 x 5 inch rectangles so I used either 4.5 inch width or 5 inch width scraps that were long enough to make blocks each month. 

I noticed the other day that I had quite a pile of blocks so decided to divide the blocks up into separate quilt piles.  For this one I picked out novelties plus a few stripes and polka dots.   

I have three other piles for quilts now but each pile needs a few more blocks - florals, geometrics and misc and a pink and black one.  The florals will probably end up adult sized but the others child sized. 

And sew on...






***
Celebrate! (my word of the year)

August 5 - I was working outside and a teeny tiny orange butterfly stayed with me on my red shorts for about 1/2 hour. I tried to take a photo so I could figure out what kind of butterfly it is but it's not a very good one so not sure what my friend happens to be. 



August 6 - I received a box of scraps from Kathy and one from Dawn! Two in one day. Wow! And I sure had fun sorting through the boxes. Sorting scraps has been what I've been doing in the evening after dinner. I put them in project piles or sort by strip width or color. And then I use them! I sew a little each day. 



9 comments:

Jenny said...

Its surely good luck when a butterfly comes to visit you.

cityquilter grace said...

such a colorful happy quilt

RyLynn said...

So much fun!!

Astrid said...

Love your wonky windmill top! Such a fun quilt. I think the butterfly loved your red shorts.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

I love your windmills, Cathy! That's a block I've never made. Do you piece the sections in strips and trim so they are wonky? I guess I need a tutorial, lol! How fun to have a butterfly come to hang out like that!

Mystic Quilter said...

What a great idea - a Wonky Windmill, I love it! Your sweet little butterfly friend certainly hung around a while, it's always difficult trying to capture these little ones on camera, i love the colour!!

gayle said...

Love your quilt! Also love your little orange friend!

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

I've never seen a butterfly hang out that long! How amazing! Love your finished wonky windmills top!

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Thats a great top!! and that butterfly - that is so super cool - he ( she) knew you needed some hugging!!! Yay for the scraps - enjoy them!