Thursday, August 22, 2024

Monkey Wrench Finish


Monkey Wrenches
It's a finish!
45 x 60

For a couple of years I made Monkey Wrench blocks from scraps in three different sizes - 5, 7.5 and 10. After I accumulated big piles of blocks I divided them up to make several donation quilts. This one is made with 7.5 inch blocks. 

This was one of my Rainbow Scrap Challenge (RSC) projects in 2022 and 2023 so I made a few blocks in each size each month with scraps in the RSC color of the month.


I quilted it on my DSM (Brother PQ1500SL) with vertical, horizontal and diagonal lines in cream colored thread. 

The back and binding. 

And now it's ready for donation.

And sew on...



***
CELEBRATE! (my word of the year)

August 18 - I sorted a box of 3 inch width scraps into piles for different quilts. Oh, what fun! Stay turned. In September I'm going to work on those quilts and hope to empty the box. How many quilts do you think it will take to empty the box? (I'll show a pic of the box and contents in a future blog post). 

August 19 - I won $1 on my free Iowa lottery ticket for August. 

August 20 - I finished a book - The Consequence of Anna by Kate Birkin. I am not sure I really liked the book. I would probably not have finished the book if it wasn't based on a true story. I just had to see how it all ended. It seemed like such a ridiculous story to be true.  The main character, Anna, was diagnosed with schizophrenia, disassociative personality disorder and Asperger's Syndrome.   Also I'm glad I read books on my Kindle (I can enlarge print and it is backlit so I can see better to read) because it is very easy to look up words in the dictionary while reading. I can't remember any other book I have read where I had to look up more than one word if that many. I had to look up dozens of words in this book. I also did some super speedy reading through a lot of the book. It could have been a lot shorter book if you ask me.  Well, on to the next...

August 21 - beautiful weather. I've been working outside a lot and enjoying the birds, butterflies and other pollinators. I've also been weeding and cutting back lots of scrub brush and brambles. Once in awhile I stop to smell the roses (now that the deer leave them alone since I've been spraying with Bobbex and actually have some roses to smell!)
 

13 comments:

Melisa- pinkernpunkinquilting said...

What a beautiful Monkey Wrench quilt- so cheerful. I always love seeing what comes out of your quilt room. You are so prolific. Happy quilting.

Elle said...

Congrats on a happy happy quilt! Someone is going to love it!

Preeti said...

So much joy and brightness here. Such a happy quilt, I am sure it will be loved so very much!

Quiltdivajulie said...

What a fun, happy quilt finish! Our weather here has been marvelous but today we shift back to muggy heat (darn).

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

depending on how large your box of scraps is -- LOL - I thought maybe I would get more out of my shoe box size then I have and if I do the same size scrap quilt again I think my box will make 4!!

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

What a great monkey wrench finish. I remember you making the blocks!

Thearica said...

Love your quilt! I have always thought of the Monkey Wrench as a play on the old time Churn Dash block. I love it so naturally I love the Monkey Wrench as well. :)

Patricia said...

beautiful quilt. you get so much done for so many. bless you. patti in florida

Nann said...

The woven effect of this MW setting is so intriguing. Great finish!

RyLynn said...

It looks like a carnival!! So much fun.

Pamela Arbour said...

I love the monkey wrench quilt. You have been doing well to look for things to celebrate. Sometimes we only see what is staring us in the face and we forget to look around that issue to find the celebrations!

thatfabricfeeling.wordpress.com said...

Such a cheerful quilt. The secondary designs you get with the blocks side by side is also real fun. I love a scrappy design and you nailed it with all the colorful fabrics. Thanks so much for sharing.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

That is a fun block - it makes a super great quilt!!!
3 inch squares - I bet 7 quilts... maybe?
I have trouble with books like that too - i have to weigh if I really want to know what happens vs the work of reading the book