Thursday, June 22, 2023

Red Centre With A Brown Center

Red Centre With A Brown Center
It's a top!
56 x 64


The quilt is called Red Centre in the book Making Quilts by Kathy Doughty.

Brown Stuff
is the theme in my sewing room this month to move UFOs forward and to whittle down a brown scrap mountain.

Earlier in the month I used my brown scraps to complete a block set of brown Monkey Wrench blocks which was a UFO.   After I made the Monkey Wrench blocks I had a lot of 4.5 inch scrap pieces. I used those pieces to make the fractured units for this top. 

I used a brown scrap with butterflies for my center. 


These stack and whack units are a quick and easy make and can be arranged in a variety of ways. Kathy Doughty has several different quilts that use these units in her books. I think it took me longer to cut the pieces and stack and whack them than it did to sew the pieces together and make the top. 

And sew on...





 

9 comments:

Linda Swanekamp said...

I have always liked this quilt. I remember when Wanda made one. I do not have that book- I should look for a used copy. You did great with the huge assortment of browns.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

That is a great design! I really like the red one you made earlier, too. I'm going to look for that book!

Julierose said...

another gorgeous finish, Cathy!! Your finishes are coming fast and furious lately--how wonderful;)))
hugs, Julierose

Jenny said...

When I saw the title of this blog I thought "Australia". And Ausraliam themed it certainly is. This looks great. I've got this book and have made a couple of quilts from it, although not this design.

Quiltdivajulie said...

I made a Fractured quilt several years ago - you are SO right about the production of the blocks taking longer than laying it out and sewing it together! Your's turned out great!!!

Beth H said...

That was a brilliant way to use those scraps in a funky fun top. I resonated with your comment about how the cutting took longer than the sewing it together.
I have a few patterns like that. I am always surprised when the top is done. Wait! The parts took long than this!

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Super cool!! that block is really a neat one - lots of visual interest!!

gayle said...

Love that spiral, but it must have been a challenge to keep everything turned right way round!

Gwyned Trefethen said...

Very impressive collection of brown fabrics coming together nicely in your top.