Saturday, June 24, 2023

A Few Brown Scraps. A Lot of Blocks.

Brown Stuff
is the theme in my sewing room this month to help me move forward some UFOs and to help me make a molehill out of my mountain of brown scraps. 

So this week instead of using the pastel blue or green Rainbow Scrap Challenge (RSC) color of the month I'm using brown scraps to make some of my many RSC blocks. 

Above are four inch finished Indian Hatchet blocks. The brown corners are cut from 2 inch width brown scraps. The four 2.5 inch squares came out of my project box.   The blocks are inspired by a vintage quilt and will now go into my growing collection of blocks of many colors. 

Old Italian Blocks
They finish at 3 inches and start with a stack of six 5 inch squares. I had 3 stacks of squares - brown alternating with yellows, brown alternating with blues and brown alternating with a wild turquoise print.  These will mix in with my growing collection of blocks. 


Windmills - four inch finished.
Snowballs - three inch finished with light corners and someday they will alternate with some old 3 inch Nine Patches with light corners. 
Bow Ties - 3 inch finished.
Squared Away - 7.5 inch finished. I've been making these in all colors from 3.5 inch unfinished Broken Dishes blocks I made in previous years from waste triangles. 


Monkey Wrench
5 inch finished.

For the past year or so I've been making Monkey Wrench blocks in three different sizes (5, 7.5, 10) and in all colors. I'll be making them all into donation quilts closer to year end. 

And sew on...


 

14 comments:

Linda said...

Have you counted how many blocks you have made in each block-type? You must have hundreds of Monkey Wrench ones! You have a achieved a lot in your Brown Month. Well done.

Julierose said...

Lovely blocks; I especially like the Old Italian ones--so pretty--you've got some pretty quilts in progress with these...hugs from a (finally!) rainy Saturday here:))), Julierose

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

lots of nice blocks you have there, lovely quilts will be made

Linda Swanekamp said...

I love the Monkey wrench ones the best. I have a lot of broken dishes from a swap years ago- all solid red and another solid color. I wonder if your block would work with them.

Mari said...

Brown (or chocolate!) was a great choice for this month! Lots of good progress.

Sara said...

That touch of brown in the quilt with round it all out. I don't have much for brown in my stash or my scraps.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Your brown blocks are yummy! :) Fun to see what you can do with different size scraps pieces.

Cathy said...

As always, your methodical plowing through your brown scraps and working your magic inspires me! You are so patient! I love the variety here!!

Pat at Bell Creek Quilts said...

Your brown scraps have really made a lot of blocks for the parts department!

maggie fellow said...

amazing what brown scraps will do.

mangozz said...

Your parts department blocks must be taking up a good amount of space at this point. Have you decided yet if these quilts will be predominantly brown or a mixed bag? How will you decide which ones to tackle first?

Jenny said...

You are a workaholic, that's for sure, but I bet you enjoy making every single tiny block!

Melisa- pinkernpunkinquilting said...

Wow!!!! These blocks are so gorgeous! Scrap happiness.

Quilter Kathy said...

You are doing great with the brown scraps! I have had to learn to be friends with brown. I do like it more when it's beside pink :)