Friday, June 9, 2023

It's A Finish! Plus Postage

It's a finish!
Plus Postage
60 x 80

The Plus Postage pattern can be found in the April 2016 edition of American Patchwork and Quilting and is designed by Susan Ache. I was inspired but  I didn't follow the instructions. (I looked at the pictures). Susan Ache's version uses strip piecing and only two fabrics per block. I used quite a variety of 1.5 inch squares (postage stamps cut from scraps) and sewed those together one square at a time. 

I started making ten inch blocks back in 2020 as a Rainbow Scrap Challenge (RSC) project. 


I big stitch hand quilted it with perle cotton in a variety of colors.  I quilted on the diagonals through each little colored square in the color of the squares and quilted 1/4 inch in red inside the plusses. 

I just had to hand quilt this one so I could take my time and enjoy looking at all the different fabrics.  

I love quilts with little pieces.  It's fun to see what will show up in a 1 inch square. 

The binding is red solid. 

And the backing is full of fairy princesses. 

And sew on...








 

25 comments:

Karen said...

That is a really nice quilt! It's amazing how the lightest neutrals create a softer effect in the blocks.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I like it that is a nice pattern!

Pat at Bell Creek Quilts said...

This quilt turned out great! Moved another set of RSC blocks to the finished line...Congrats!!

Nann said...

It adds up to a great quilt!

Elle said...

Fantastic! I remember when you constructing the blocks. Your processes over time are inspiring!

Happy Friday :-)

Jenny said...

Oh wow! Just look at all those tiny squares. This one is another beauty, for sure. Are you keeping it for yourself?

Quiltdivajulie said...

That is one of the best plus quilts I've seen -- so scrappy and such fun to roam my eyes over!!!!!

Melisa- pinkernpunkinquilting said...

Such a beauty and love your backing. Well done.

Linda In UK said...

I remember you making some of these blocks. It’s come together beautifully. You certainly know how to make the most of tiny scraps. Well done, Cathy.

Gwyned Trefethen said...

Such a happy, whimsical quilt. Great way to use the tiny scraps and participate in the RSC.

Candra Sowder said...

That is one beautiful quilt and a great use of little bitty pieces!

Rose Marie said...

Another gorgeous quilt and using up all those tiny squares! Bravo

Sara said...

That quilt is brilliant! I love, love those postage stamps in the background.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

That's a beautiful quilt, Cathy! I bet it was such a pleasure to quilt through all those pretty scraps. Congratulations on your finish!

Quilter Kathy said...

You are the QUEEN of scrap quilting my friend! I adore this quilt and can't stop looking at your photos. I make them as big as I can on my computer screen and I recognize your brilliance in working with scraps and threads!
Sending you so much admiration from your steadfast apprentice :)

maggie fellow said...

wonderful and all those little squares are safe with you

Helenchaffin said...

one block at a time bless you!😄 It turned out beautifully!

Angela said...

Such a pretty quilt!

CathieJ said...

I bet many of those fabrics brought a memory as you hand stitched them. This quilt is beautiful. Congrats on the finish!

Deb A said...

Wow! What a beautiful quilt and love the hand stitching. Congrats.

Sylvia@Treadlestitches said...

Wonderful, amazing quilt! So many prints to look at. The backing made me smile, and the hand quilting is the icing on the cake. Congrats!

Karrin Hurd said...

Beautiful finish!

Miaismine said...

Congratulations on such a precious finish! There is nothing like the look of a hand quilted quilt. I did a quick search on big stitch hand quilting and learned quite a bit. Your quilt was a joy to view and very inspiring! Thank you so much for sharing!

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

WOW!!! That is a stunner!
That hand quilting is just perfect on it!!!

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

Wow! What a beauty. I LOVE the postage stamp background. What a cool layout for the plus blocks!