Friday, June 16, 2023

A Finish! Soul Searching In The Chocolate Box

Soul Searching In The Chocolate Box
It's a finish!
56 x 72


It was inspired by a quilt called Soul Searching in the book Making Quilts by Kathy Doughty. I say "inspired" because Kathy's quilt called for 2.5 inch width pieces and I modified the pattern and used 1.5 inch width pieces because I was cleaning out my 1.5 inch scrap bin last year (finally!) and most of the scraps in there were brown. 


This month the theme in my sewing space is "brown stuff" so I decided to get this brown stuff quilted. I quilted it on my DSM with chocolate swirls in a variegated brown thread. 

The binding is scrappy - all brown pieces from my left over binding box. 

Pieced backing.

Pieced backing close up. I thought it kind of echoed the blocks on the front. The other neutral fabric is a wide back trimming. 

And sew on...



 

13 comments:

Julierose said...

What a lovely finish on this Chocolate box quilt--I love that pattern...you did a great job on this with that pretty quilting hugs, Julierose

Linda said...

That looks really effective. Can’t imagine juggling with those tiny strips! Looks like a good huggable quilt.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

That is a yummy quilt! The browns give it a really warm and cozy look. The backing really is perfect for it, too. Beautiful finish, Cathy!

grammajudyb said...

Cute name! Soul Searching in the Chocolate Box, you had me giggling!! I'm loving your Brown Stuff finishes!

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

LOVE the name!! and now I Want chocolate!!
this is a great one!!! Love this theme!!

Nann said...

What a delicious quilt! (And no calories in this chocolate.)

Linda Swanekamp said...

You made brown look fabulous. Very cozy and beautiful quilt. Love the quilting on it.

gayle said...

Everything is better with chocolate! (Except maybe onions...)

Jenny said...

Such a yummy looking box of chocolates. I made a Soul Searching quilt for our bed, and love the design.

Deb said...

Wow, I've been wanting to make the Soul Searching top and the brown is so nice! It happens I have a box of 1.5" cuts that were gifted to me! Hmm .
Thank you for the great inspiration!

mangozz said...

Chocolate is always nice and your quilt looks yummy! Now I need to go check out Kathy Doughty's version in that book. It's amazing how you always manage to come up with different variations of quilt designs. You are always thinking outside the box.

Chantal said...

Awesome job, Cathy! You know how to pair the fabrics so they look their best together. I need to make this pattern too to tame the 1.5" box. As always, thanks for the inspiration. Enjoy! ;^)

Quiltdivajulie said...

This one is so cozy and comfortable looking -- WELLDONE!!!!