Sunday, March 12, 2017

At The End of the Rainbow


At The End of the Rainbow
56 x 63

Inspired by Red Centre in Making Quilts by Kathy Doughty


This was one of last year's Rainbow Scrap Challenge projects. I made a few of the blocks (well, not really blocks - maybe call them units?) each month from 4.5 inch scraps. 


I didn't have much of anything in my stash that looked right for border pieces so did purchase a little fabric that seemed to go with a rainbow quilt - birds against a rainbow sky and a rainbow of paw prints.   I had some rainbow looking stripe fabric that I used for the binding but didn't have enough so used what was left of the birds to add the necessary length. 


I had enough machine quilting thread in all colors of the rainbow to use to straight stitch along the straight sides of the blocks and then also used white to stitch along each straight side of the white sections.   BUT I hand quilted in perle #12 along each zig zaggy sides of the colored sections in the neutral areas.  I really didn't want to have turn the quilt on my DSM in order to stitch along the zig and zags and found big stitching to actually be quicker and easier. 


I had this rick rack fabric in my stash meaning to use it with some 30s repro quilts but decided this was the right place for it.   BUT I didn't have enough after I so carefully matched the rick rack when stitching up the fabric to be wide enough (or was it to be long enough?)...anyway I had to cut a piece off one side to add to the back but still didn't have enough so those birds came out to play again on the backing.  And that's the way it goes...


Now I'll mail this(after I find the right box) to my youngest brother, Steve,  who lives far far away in a land called Florida. I hope it's a pleasant surprise to say I love you, I'm thinking of you and take care of yourself and your heart.    He unexpectedly had quadruple bypass surgery last year around Easter after he suffered two heart attacks.   





24 comments:

Jeanne said...

Very nice -- he'll love it! How's retirement?

Ellen said...

Such a fun finish...I love it and I bet your brother will too!

Quilter Kathy said...

Fantastic finish! Love how you combine hand and machine quilting, and use lots of colours of thread...
you know how to have fun!!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

I love the way that turned out, Cathy! A scrappy backing and binding are perfect for that quilt. The heart at the center makes it a perfect gift for your brother!

The Joyful Quilter said...

Congrats! on a WONDERFUL finish!!!

suemac said...

I like that quilt in the rainbow style you made it.

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

What a wonderful message of love Cathy! It is an amazing quilt with so much color. Thanks for sharing with Oh Scrap!

Linda said...

Such a lovely quilt, made with such a lot more of love. Your brother will be blown away when he opens his surprise package. I love the way you have used big stitch Quilting with Perle threads - always works for me too.

Ann said...

You may be the person with the largest stash who never owned a quilt shop. I'm always amazed at the lovely stuff you pull from your bags each week. This is another great one. Congratulations.

PaulaB quilts said...

A wonderful quilt with a heart full of love for your brother. I'm amazed at your ingenuity in piecing one part after another and coming up with just the right thing you needed.

gayle said...

It's a beautiful surprise!
Those rainbow birds are just such a perfect touch. And I love that rickrack back!

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

What a fun quilt! Love the colors!!

liniecat said...

Love this!
Fun, colourful and a great design

Cat said...

This is incredible - I simply love scrap quilts and I'm glad I was directed in the way of your blog!

Debbie said...

Love your version of a rainbow!

Shauna said...

awesome quilt, love the heart in the center

Patty said...

Wonderful quilt! Thanks for linking up with Elm Street Quilts One Monthly Goal and congrats on your finish.

Karen's Korner said...

Congratulations on your lovely finish.

Kate said...

Congrats on a very fun and bright finish. What a fun RSC project.

Sharon - IN said...

What a wonderful rainbow quilt. And neat story too of how you built it during the year. I'm sure your brother will appreciate it, hope he has recovered and doing well.

KaHolly said...

Wow! Congratulations for achieving your goal! It's really something and will be truly loved!

Libby in TN said...

I've admired that quilt as you were working on it. Such a great scrap buster. Congrats on your finish. I know your brother will love it!

Marci Girl said...

This quilt is amazing! Beautiful job! Thank you for linking up on behalf of the 2017 global Finish-A-Long hosts.

Jennifer said...

Beautiful and a lot of piecing. Your brother will love it and treasure it.