Saturday, March 5, 2022

Yellow Scraps Part I

I store most of my scraps by color now. At the beginning of each month I dig into the bag with scraps in the Rainbow Scrap Challenge (RSC) color and sort them by size of scrap. Then I work from largest down to smallest scraps and make a variety of blocks. 

This month I'm working with my bag of yellow scraps. 

First I start with Dandy Quilt block. I usually take a small scrap chunk and cut off a 4.5 inch strip. Then I find a scrap in the color complement for the corners and star points. 



Next I work with any 5 inch scraps that can be cut 5 x 9.5.  Sometimes I cut a layer cake square that has been given to me in half and use that too.  I then make Horizon quilt blocks. At the end of the year I'll make these into donation quilts. 

If there is a 5 inch square in a jewel tone then I make Big Chips (Economy Blocks). These are made with the flippy corner method so I use the corners after trimming to make QSTs. 

If there are any 5 inch pieces left over I cut them in half and use them in blocks that call for 2.5 inch pieces. 

If I can cut four identical pieces 2.5 x 3.5 I make Eight Patch blocks. I have a project box with 2.5 x 3.5 pieces I can also use in these blocks. Again I will make donation quilts at year end. 

I also use 2.5 inch scraps to make HSTs for Bear Paws. If I have 4.5 inch scraps in my scrap bag I cut squares for these otherwise I have a bin of squares I use.  This is another block that will be made into donation quilts at year end. 

For these four inch Indian Hatchet blocks I use four identical 2.5 inch squares for the base and 2 inch HST pieces for the corners.  I love these blocks and this will be a quilt for me someday. It was inspired by a vintage quilt. 

Some bright 2.5 inch squares get made into Little Chips (Economy Blocks). The corners are made with two 2.5 inch squares cut in half then the blocks are trimmed to size. 

Any other 2.5 scraps get cut into squares if possible or if there is a 2.5 x 1.5 piece I cut that and those pieces go into the Lego project box. 

My strings are kept separately and not sorted by color but I dug through those and pulled out yellows and saw I had enough for one 12 inch Wonky Log Cabin block.  I'm using 4 inch novelty centers with a black background in each block. I make this block as a leader/ender while I chain piece some of the other blocks. 


 

11 comments:

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Goodness!!! Such happy and bright blocks!!
I like your process!!

gayle said...

I love all your cheerful blocks! You're going to bring a lot of comfort (and happiness!) with your donation quilts!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

The wonky log cabin is a great idea for sewing up strings in between other blocks! I'll have to remember that. Fun to see your cute novelty prints up close, too!

Linda said...

More lovely blocks, so many donation quilts in the making.

Jenny said...

You are always such a busy bee, working away on your your various blocks, well done. Yellow is such a happy colour, I'm sure you are enjoying your sewing.

Pat at Bell Creek Quilts said...

oh my! That's a lot of yellow awesomeness!

The Joyful Quilter said...

The first week of the month and you've already completed SEW many blocks, Cathy. Nice work!!

Sandy Panagos said...

What a great plan. The yellow and B&W blocks are neat. I may add that one to my repertoire!

MissPat said...

I've hardly pulled out my yellow scraps and you've already got your blocks done. There's an overachiever in every crowd. More power to you, but what will you do for the rest of the month?
Pat

Chantal said...

So many yellow blocks already done and the month has just started! Wow! I love each and every one of them. Thanks for sharing how you can manage so many blocks in a week. Organization is the keyword here. Enjoy! ;^)

Nann said...

I appreciate seeing the method to your madness!