Saturday, March 26, 2022

Growing Crumb Flowers

The Rainbow Scrap Challenge (RSC) color of the month is yellow but I've used up almost all of my yellow scraps except for a few chunks.  So I went back to January's color of red to finish up some blocks. I had some crumb strips roughly 5 inches wide made with red crumbs. I cut and trimmed a lot of 4.5 inch squares out of those red crumb strips.   Those 4.5 inch squares grew into Crumb Flowers 

I used an old Block Lotto tutorial called Violets to make my blocks that finish at 8 inches. 

The trimmed Crumb Flower "flippy corners" were turned into a few Wonky HST strips for my version of a vintage quilt. 

I still have some 4.5 inch red crumb squares and I am not sure yet what I will do with these but I do have a few ideas. 


 

17 comments:

Julierose said...

Love those red/yellow crumb flowers, Cathy--so pretty and Spring like...
hugs for a great weekend...Julierose

scraphappy said...

Glad you used up all your yellow. The red is still looking great.

Linda said...

The yellow middle is exactly the colour for those red crumb flowers. Great! Nice to use up even more scraps.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

The crumb squares look like they worked out perfectly for the violets. I love their yellow centers, too! Another great idea for crumb blocks!

grammajudyb said...

Crumb flowers! A great idea! They are so pretty!

Ivani said...

Love the crumb flowers, Cathy. Great use of small scraps.

Anonymous said...

Especially loving those crumb flowers!

Quiltdivajulie said...

The red flowers with yellow centers are just SO MUCH FUN!

Jenny said...

Crumb flowers, who would have thought of that except you!

Dorothy Wills said...

Love those flowers. They're gonna look nice in a lot of colors.

gayle said...

I love those crumb flowers! (Not to be confused with crumby flowers!)

Nancy @ Grace and Peace Quilting said...

Great combo of using yellow and red in your RSC! Love those crumb flowers!

sue s said...

Wow- I feel a squirrel coming on for those violets! I've saved the pattern from Block Lotto.

The Joyful Quilter said...

Nice job on your catch-up work for the Rainbow Scrap Challenge, Cathy! You even managed to sneak in some YELLOW for March. Only the chunks remain? Will you be needing a scrap infusion? LOL!! Probably not, huh? :o))

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Well those are pretty flowers!! and the kind that won't make me sneeze haha!

Kirsten said...

Love your crumb flowers. The jump off the page.

Sandy Panagos said...

Not having many yellow scraps is quite an accomplishment! That violets block is cute. Even cuter made with crumbs.