Friday, March 18, 2022

Eclectic Flower Garden Finish

Eclectic Flower Garden
It's a finish!
54 x 72


The last couple of years I have made an effort to use up my strings and have made a variety of different quilt tops. This one was the last in a line - full of the shortest and skinniest of strings. 

I used black waste triangles for the last "string" on each block. . 



I used a rather eclectic mix of five inch squares of floral fabrics. Most of those chunks of fabrics I had set aside in a little "what do I do with these" pile. A lot of the pieces were given to me over the years. Some of the florals are "vintage" and some I thought of as bordering on down right ugly. But really...can a flower be ugly? There is quite a range of textures - duck, dotted swiss, poplin, seersucker, nubby, polyester, upholstery...

Eclectic...all found their place together in this flower garden. 

I finished all of the blocks back in March 2021 and set them aside in the "Some Assembly Required" box for awhile. 


I quilted in some three petaled flowers in white thread on my DSM. 

Spring was on the front. Winter is on the back - leaves and twigs in the snow. 

The batting was pieced. 
The binding came out of the leftover binding box and is an eclectic mix of florals. 

Nothing goes to waste around here. 

And sew on...



 

15 comments:

Elizabeth V Kelbaugh said...

Fabulous quilt and perfect for some small leftover strips.

sue s said...

I love this! So fresh and floral-ly. And the off-center strings are something I hadn't thought of before, but something I will use for sure. I have a ton of skinny strings.

Kathy S. said...

Way to use up those big floral prints. Nicely DONE.

Quiltdivajulie said...

You do scrappy better than anyone I know. Eclectic Garden is SO full of things to explore. WELL DONE!

Julierose said...

Wonderful array of flowered blocks in this quilt--nice work pairing them with strings...I really like this one a lot hugs, Julierose

Linda said...

Another great quilt. I remember liking this when it was a flimsy. Good idea to make the centres the same colour with the black waste triangles. Oh dear, you’ve added another idea to my never ending list of Things to Do!

gayle said...

Yeah, what Quiltdivajulie said! Well done indeed!

Linda Swanekamp said...

I agree with Julie. I just think this is gorgeous with so much interest and fun. I just would love to squeeze it! Well done!

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

You have the most colorful eye! I love this one, and how it all came together - the black in the center just really makes everything amazing!!

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

I love floral quilts and the little touch of string piecing on this one is like more blossoms on a carpet of blossoms,

Anonymous said...

Such a happy flower garden!

QuiltGranma said...

A great way to use up scraps and florals. I've been wondering what to do with the florals I collected more of than I should have. The girls I know now days do not do girly girly, so I've been wondering what to do with them. Probably should make something for the women's shelter! Once I find those fabrics again.

The Joyful Quilter said...

LOVE that backing fabric!! It's such an unexpected contrast to the front of your quilt, Cathy. Congrats on another super scrappy finish!!

audrey said...

Love this one! the floral prints are so, so charming.:)

Nann said...

An eclectic garden without a single weed!