Monday, March 28, 2022

Another Quickie

Interweave
It's a top!
42 x 56


I didn't exactly follow the pattern and did a little bit of my own thing. 

This top started with the back. Someone gave me the piece with the horses. It's not quite enough for the quilt back so I will have to add to it with the brown fabric at the side. 

After I was given that horse fabric I thought it would make a cute backing for a child's quilt. I just couldn't cut it up. So I set it aside in a little box and whenever I came across some scraps in a similar color scheme I threw them into the box. Time passed. When I had quite a few scraps in the box I figured it was time to make a top. 

I'm not sure how I recently came across the Interweave pattern but it struck me that it might be a quick and easy quilt and I might just have enough scraps collected to go with the horses so I looked into the box.



I didn't have quite enough scraps or variation in fabrics for my liking so I picked out a few pieces of yardage to supplement the mix. 

And within a few hours a quilt top was born. I think it took me longer to cut up the fabrics than it did to sew them. I don't have a design wall but I did kind of lay the strips out on the floor before I sewed them together. That was a pointless exercise because I dropped a few and then got the sequence mixed up anyway. And so it goes. 

And now that I have a backing for it almost ready it might get finished sooner than later and get off to warm a child somewhere. 

And sew on...




 

17 comments:

Linda said...

My goodness,you really are on a roll- or should that be gallop? Haven’t come across this design before, works well with the fabrics you chose. Interesting colour palette.

Rebecca said...

Thank you so much for listing the pattern link!!!
I am wondering if this will work with all blues from the top and all yellows or greens from the bottom.... Hummm

Nann said...

What a great design! It could be done elaborately -- ombre -- or just randomly. I admit that the horses look a little creepy to me....

Anonymous said...

You did a great job with matching the colors to the backing. And thank you for including the pattern. Thanks for sharing.

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

Now I HAVE TO make this one. Thanks for the link. I will make it a little bigger and maybe eliminate the side border strips. Time will tell. I have so many batik strips already cut. Thanks!!!

sandi s said...

Your quilt is so cute!! I love that horse fabric is wonderful! The backing is perfect. Hugs,

mangozz said...

This would make a really cute throw, or a horse blanket with the strips hanging down the sides of the horse. I like the colors you used. I don't usually make quick quilts but it looks like fun. Thanks for the link to the pattern. It reminds me of this quilt that I always liked.https://allthroughthenight.net/collections/quilts/products/1607-over-down-under?variant=24046775631936

The Joyful Quilter said...

What an interesting pattern, Cathy. Thanks for the link!

Rebecca Grace said...

Congrats on your quilt top finish! I love those deep plums. Your colors remind me of all the yummy red wine grapes!

Anonymous said...

Very cool! This looks like a fun quilt to make.

Linda Swanekamp said...

I have always wanted to make one of these after seeing many of them on The Left Handed Quilter blog. The size is a tad small for my comfort quilts, so that is why I have not moved forward. Not sure how it would look with a border to make it bigger. I really like yours!

Ann said...

Such a pretty quilt and fun way to use scraps. I have some fabrics that seem to be perfect backs, too, and rarely enough to finish the whole back.

Annelies said...

What a beautiful design and beautiful quilttop.

Catskill Quilter said...

This is a fabulous joyfilled quilt! Congrats!

gayle said...

A perfect front for those rather odd but beautifully colored horses. And what an intriguing pattern! Off to check it out - thanks!

Rose Marie said...

Thank you for the link ..... this will be perfect for a charity quilt!

audrey said...

Love the simplicity of this one and the strong colors! Lovely work!:)