Friday, March 4, 2022

Uneven Nine Patch or Puss in the Corner?

A new top
42 x 60

Uneven Nine Patch or Puss in the Corner
What do you call this block?

I know there are several other very different looking blocks that go by the name Puss in the Corner. Funny that such a silly quilt block name would have several different variations.  

I made these six inch blocks last year as a Rainbow Scrap Challenge Project. I made several different blocks that year with 3.5 and 2 inch scraps. 

I have enough blocks for 1.5  kiddo sized donation quilts. I decided to go ahead and make one top so I can get it quilted and donated and I'll make the remaining blocks needed for a second quilt later on. 

Funny thing...there were hardly any blue blocks in the mix. I'm not sure why. I must have used my scraps in those blue RSC months for different blocks. 


There weren't many green blocks either. 

I tried to pick out most of the blocks from the pile with fun centers for kids and then sewed them all together randomly. 

Now to find backing and piece some batting and get it quilted and donated!  Maybe that is a task for next week. 



13 comments:

Julierose said...

What a fun quilt finish--really nice work on this one hugs, Julierose

Linda said...

Another lovely donation flimsy. I prefer the name Puss in the Corner - more interesting than Uneven Nine Patch, suitable for this child friendly fun quilt.

The Joyful Quilter said...

What a riot of color, Cathy!! Congrats on getting that RSC quilt top together.

grammajudyb said...

Whatever you call that block, the quilt is awesome! Great job!

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

So happy and colorful!

Anonymous said...

Such a bright happy quilt! I could get lost looking at all of the different fabrics.

Pat at Bell Creek Quilts said...

sew pretty!

Linda Swanekamp said...

Someone is just going to love this quilt with all the colors and cool fabrics. It will be terrific quilted.

scraphappy said...

Yay for another finish. Such fun colors and patterns

Ivani said...

I liked the way you distributed the blocks on this top, which was very cheerful and colorful and will make a child happy. Well done, Cathy!

Sylvia@Treadlestitches said...

So bright and cute, and so many fun fabrics! Perfect for any child. I love all the old pattern names, especially the weird ones like Botch Handle and Contrary Wife.

Pat at Bell Creek Quilts said...

sew much fun! a wonderful scrappy quit!

Nann said...

PITC to me, too -- because "uneven nine patch" to me would look more nine-patchy. What I admire about yours is that you have dark corners in all/most of the blocks and you sewed them all together, rather than alternating light corners/dark corners. And it looks terrific. Of course!