Thursday, March 24, 2022

Chunky Churn Dashes and Snowballs Finish

Chunky Churn Dash and Snowballs
42 x 60
It's a finish!

Sorry for the blurry photo. I'm not seeing all that well these days out of my right eye. Everything is blurry. I suppose it's time for that cataract surgery the eye doctor mentioned last year. Also the right eye lid droops a lot and is affecting my vision in that eye. Eye doctor said I might benefit from a blepharoplasty but I think that is considered cosmetic so probably won't have that done. Anyway...



Well, back in 2015 (has it really been that long?) I participated in four Chunky Churn Dash swaps - '30s and solids, patriotic, autumn and spring. I decided to challenge myself to use different alternate blocks in each of the four quilts. This is the Spring Chunky Churn quilt and I used Snowballs as the alternate block and is the last of the four quilts to be (finally!) finished.   


I had 48 Chunky Churn Dash blocks in a spring garden theme so made 22 Snowballs and add some insects,  butterflies, spiders, ants, bees and rabbits to the garden. 

I quilted it with some three petaled flowers on my DSM. 

There's lots of butterflies on the back and the binding was an old floral. 

Now it is ready for donation.

I will probably send this and many other quilts twin, baby and child sized to Lifting Hands International via the Give Back Box.    I am not on Facebook but I see on their Facebook page that they made two shipments to Poland yesterday - "The first shipment contained 23,000 pounds (10,430 kg) of brand new bedding, baby items, personal care and first aid items. The second shipment left Utah yesterday containing about the same amount of aid as the first." Lifting Hands has a shipment tracker page; however, they must not have had time yet to update it with yesterday's shipments. I also see on their Facebook page that they have bought 52,000 lbs of flour for distribution throughout shelters as well as two vans to help evacuate people. Lifting Hands International's mission statement: "We provide aid to refugees, both at home and abroad. No politics. Simply humanitarian."

And sew on...



 

14 comments:

Kathy S. said...

Love how you added the bugs and bees and rabbits to the garden in the snowball blocks! Your sewing brain is always ON! Have a great weekend. :)

Elle said...

FYI: blepharoplasty is a covered procedure if the 'droop' is bad enough. I suggest an evaluation to see if that will work for you. Mom had a car accident d/t her obstructed vision. Within a month, she was evaluated, had the procedure and it was covered my her Medicare/gap plan.

GREAT QUILT! I always enjoy your scrappy quilt show :-)

Cats and Calico said...

Thank you for information to donate to Lifting Hands. I love your blog and I've been thinking about you and your family during this tough time.

Linda said...

You have used such lovely colours in this quilt. Light and pretty. Love the fabrics you chose for the snowball blocks. Beautiful.

gayle said...

I love how cheerful your donation quilts are - passing on a little joy to those who sorely need some.

cityquilter grace said...

so pretty!

Nann said...

I remember the Block Swappers' Chunky Churn Dash exchanges! My right eyelid droops, too, but like you I'm not to the point of surgery yet.

Astrid said...

Bright and cheerful scrappy quilt. Love it!

The Joyful Quilter said...

Another super sweet finish and a lovely donation quilt, Cathy!!

anna t said...

A friend had both eyelids done. It was covered since it interfered with her vision.

Quiltdivajulie said...

I've done traditional nine patches with snowballs but I like your Uber-scrappy version with the chunky churn dashes even more.

Anonymous said...

First, I love this quilt! It can’t help but give some cheer to the recipient. Also, thank you for letting me know about Lifting Hands. I’ll be following them. I’m a ways from having a donation quilt ready, but sadly, I don’t think these needs are ever going away.

mangozz said...

I just had cataract surgery on my right eye and I'm having my left eye done in a couple of weeks. I haven't been able to sew for months now, at first because of the cataracts and now I can't seem to focus both of my eyes together due to the difference in vision. I also need new glasses but I won't be tested for that until a month after my next surgery. Needless to say, I am in withdrawal from not being able to sew!.

QuiltGranma said...

One of my sisters had that eyelid lift, so did mom in law. It is covered by insurance if the lid is blocking the view out your pupil. Mine aren't there yet. Sis said she looked like a raccoon for a bit but it was worth it.