Saturday, March 12, 2022

Yellow Scraps Part II

Continuing on with yellow scraps this week. (Part I was last week if interested). I'm using the 2 inch width scraps I found in my yellow scraps.  First I made some Zip Blocks following instructions found at Klein Meisje Quilts.  I've also been using odds and ends of solid scraps in these blocks. 

With the left over solid pieces I made a few Wonky Shoofly blocks. I used waste triangles for the corners and 2 inch square scraps for the centers. Blocks finish at 4.5 inches. These aren't accumulating very fast. I've been making them off and on for a couple of years as scraps appear and I remember I am making them!

I'm making 6 inch QST Four Patches this year as an alternate block for a big pile of 6 inch Four Patches I've accumulated. I use the Easy Angle Companion ruler to cut the QSTs (that finish at 3 inches) from a 2 inch width scrap. At the beginning of the strip I cut HSTs with the Easy Angle ruler so I don't waste anything. I've been making those into little Broken Dishes Blocks that finish at 3 inches. 

I made some Indian Hatchet blocks last week. For those I used four 2.5 inch squares for the base and other colors of 2 inch scraps for the corners. This time I used 2.5 inch squares in other colors and the corners were 2 inch yellow scraps. These finish at 4 inches. 

And finally some 2 inch yellow scraps were made into Bow Ties that finish at 3 inches. 

I think I have enough yellow scraps left for a Part III next week. 


 

15 comments:

Julierose said...

Good variety of blocks for your RSC this time around. I especially like those "Zipper" blocks nice works hugs, Julierose

scraphappy said...

Lots of great yellow for week three. Looking forward to the finale!

Anonymous said...

You’re really going to town! Awesome.

grammajudyb said...

You are making good use of ALL your scraps! WOW! I need to follow your lead. Seems mine just end up in a basket! Love those little bow ties and the zipper blocks are fun too!

Sylvia@Treadlestitches said...

I love seeing your posts on how you corral those scraps into blocks! The little bowties are adorable.

The Joyful Quilter said...

Nice selection of YELLOW/GOLD blocks made from some of your smallest scraps, Cathy! Well done.

Cathy said...

You are so clever to use the easy angle and companion angle rulers on the same strip to avoid waste! I love all your little blocks!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

You're accomplishing a lot with your yellow scraps! I always forget about those zip blocks - I need to put them in my list!

Dorothy Wills said...

You've got a lot accomplished. Looking good.

maggie fellow said...

The zipper blocks look fun and all your yellows are like sunshine- Spring is surely coming

gayle said...

I love those zippers! One of these years I plan to make them too!

Jenny said...

That's a lot of little blocks, with still more to come next week. Great work. I love the bow tie blocks, and seem to remember this design was one of my first RSC projects

Linda said...

Lovely blocks. The Zipper blocks in yellow and black are particularly striking.

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

Great progress on your yellow blocks. Thanks for sharing with Oh Scrap!

Lynn Dykstra said...

The zippers are great, and I love the hatchets