Saturday, March 19, 2022

Yellow Scraps Part III

Previously seen on Sane, Crazy, Crumby: 

This week I worked mostly with the 3.5 inch width scraps I found in the yellow scrap bag. 

I think I started these  six inch Buckeye Beauty blocks last year and I'm aiming for 130 blocks. I've been mixing the Rainbow Scrap Challenge (RSC) color of the month with mostly old shirts. 

Then if there was enough of a 3.5 yellow scrap for four 2.5 x 3.5 pieces I made more Eight Patches.  I keep a little box of blocks and cut pieces I accumulate when cutting up scraps so I have cut pieces in other colors to mix and match in the blocks. 

If I had enough for two 3.5 squares then I combined with other colors of scraps from the squares bin and made some Four Patches that finish at six inches. 


Then I cut the 3.5 scrap into squares if I can. Some go into the Squares Bin for future use. Some get picked out for X+ Blocks. I also started making X+ blocks last year and let me tell you that since I'm making them in all one color it is rather a challenge to find scraps with enough contrast. But I think all will be okay. 

Then if I have four 3.5 x 2 pieces I'm going to make Puss in the Corner Blocks with light corners. I have a little pile of dark cornered Puss in the Corner blocks and so now will make some light cornered blocks to alternate with those. 

If I have less than a 3.5 square then I sew those pieces into strips for a future Chinese Coins quilt. 


That was the end of the 3.5 width scraps. Odd sized bits and pieces with straight edges were made into a 12 inch Slab Block with a heart in the center. I call these Heartfelt blocks. I made a Heartfelt quilt back in 2019 so time for another.  And finally I made a Postage Stamp Pandemic block with a little yellow solid piece found in the scrap bag which could arguably be called an orange solid. But it's all good. 

Now that I have only larger chunks left in the yellow scrap bag whatever shall I do for the rest of the month! Hmmm....





 

13 comments:

Julie in GA said...

All of your yellow scrappy blocks are beautiful, and I'm sure you will find something to fill your time for the rest of March. Happy quilting day!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Lots of fun blocks in your scraps this week! I've been making Buckeye Beauty blocks this week, too. It's so interesting how their look can change depending on the dark and light fabric placement!

Sylvia@Treadlestitches said...

Love the heartfelt slab blocks! And it's always fun to see how you take scraps and make lots of different blocks!

cityquilter grace said...

all very pretty...scraps can be so beautiful!

sue s said...

I so admire your stash setup! You have a great order going and I think I may have to attack my scraps this way.Heartfelt is very pretty.

Ivani said...

So many happy different blocks, Cathy. Looking foward to seeing what will come up with for next week.

Chantal said...

There's always eye candy on your posts. Love your yellow blocks ... all of them but especially the heart crumb block. Thanks for the link as I was able to see your Heartfelt quilt. It's gorgeous and very inspiring. ;^)

Nann said...

Lots of sunshine in your sewing room, Cathy. Happy Quilting Day!

maggie fellow said...

looks like a happy mix of scrap fun

Linda said...

I love reading about how you get every bit of use out of every single scrap! Some great blocks a made as a result.

gayle said...

Another drool-worthy batch of blocks! And I'm looking forward to those future Chinese Coin quilts!

The Joyful Quilter said...

I absolutely LOVE your Heartfelt quilt and am glad that you are making another!! It's a really good way to do something a little different with crumbs. Nice job on working your way through a bunch more YELLOW/GOLD scraps for the Rainbow Scrap Challenge, Cathy!!

Gwyned Trefethen said...

Fascinating system you have devised to make good use of your scraps.