Sunday, October 10, 2021

Eclectic Flower Garden

Eclectic Flower Garden
It's a top!
54 x 72


Last year I made string blocks for a couple of different quilts - Let's Party and Crossed.  After I made those blocks I was left with a lot of short skinny strings. 


I first saw these blocks at Den syende himmel and thought they would be a good use for my short and skinny strings.  For the backgrounds I cut 5 inch squares from an eclectic mix of florals.  For the black corners I used waste triangles. 


Actually some of the florals were kind of ugly. And some have polyester in them. A few are a dotted swiss print and a few are upholstery/heavier fabrics.  So...eclectic. 

I finished all 192 of the blocks back in March and put them into my Some Assembly Required (SAR) box. 

My October One Monthly Goal (OMG) was to assemble at least one top from the SAR box.  I like to get my goals out of the way as soon as I can so this one is "at least one top" assembled. 



 

19 comments:

Sylvia@Treadlestitches said...

Wow! There is so much to look at here. Scrap quilts are the best!

Julierose said...

Really pretty florals with the strippy halves!! Hugs, Julierose

Quiltdivajulie said...

It turned out wonderfully! I have this design saved for "someday" when the right combination of strings and squares appear in the stash.

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

That top is great. I never would have thought of all the variety! I love string quilts and this one is going to be a beauty!

Ivani said...

What a bright and colorful top. Well done. Great use of floral scraps and strings.

Mary said...

Sometimes they need to go in the box to become harmonious! It turned out really well. I am a big fan of String quilts.
Mary / https://stitchinggrandma.wordpress.com//

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

That's a pretty one, Cathy! I love how the string section of the blocks connects all the florals. Great way to use up those short strings that we all seem to end up with!

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

I love love love this one. I wish I had some light colored florals so I could make one too. But maybe that is a good thing! Thanks for sharing with Oh Scrap!

The Joyful Quilter said...

That is going to be such a cute quilt, Cathy!!

Linda Swanekamp said...

Just wonderful arrangement of fabric and color! It will be uniquely gorgeous.

gayle said...

Eclectic, indeed! I love what you've done with all those florals!
I've been admiring this block over at den syende himmel, too! Definitely on my dream list!

MissPat said...

Hmmm, another idea for next year. I have tons of floral scraps and lots of strings.
Pat

mangozz said...

I really like this design and your use of the florals and strings. I'm wondering though if the blocks are going to be tough to quilt through with the extra fabric.

Linda said...

Love your flimsy. Such a great use of those small leftover strings. I looked at the pattern and was surprised you sewed the strings to the backing square - I thought you would end up with a bag of floral waste triangles.

Ann said...

So many joyful florals make the perfect background for your strings. What a darling quilt top.

Kathy S. said...

Such a fun quilt. Oh how I LOVE your explanation of your string selections and organization. Nicely done -- as always!

Karen's Korner said...

Scrappy quilts are my favourite and yours is so happy and bright. Nice work.

Anne-Marie said...

I love this!

Patty said...

Fun and scrappy. Thanks for linking up with Elm Street quilts One Monthly Goal and congrats on your finish!