Friday, October 1, 2021

Cleaning Up

After finishing 29 quilts last month I was left with some piles of scraps to clean up. 

I started making Trip Around The World (TATW) blocks at the end of August. At that time I used most of the dark 2 inch width scraps I had and mentioned that my next step would be to look through the box of quilt back trimmings for dark strips, cut those into 2 inch widths and see how many blocks I could make. 

With what was in the quilt back trimmings box including what was added to it after my quilting marathon, I was able to make 10 more TATW blocks.  I do still have the lighter quilt back trimmings and wider width quilt back trimmings to go through but I hope to empty that box very soon. 

So, now I have a total of 22 TATW blocks that finish at 9 inches. I am going to set those aside for awhile until I decide what fabrics to use next for these blocks. 

Some of the quilt back trimmings or yardage ends from cutting bindings or backings that are mostly less than 1.5 inches or wonky cuts are now in the string box. The string box is getting pretty full again so I've decided on two new string projects...


...#1. a kaleidoscope quilt similar to this one where the strings run vertically in the wedges. I've made one with strips running horizontally but never one like this. I have not figured out how much background fabric I need, size of the blocks or color of the background yet. 

#2. I will make a string star quilt similar to this one. 

I had a lot of waste triangles from all the binding joins last month. I made those into Wonky Hourglasses.  They can now join the bags and boxes of Wonky Hourglasses I've been making since the beginning of the year. 

You may or may not remember that at the beginning of this year I decided to make Wonky Hourglasses out of all the waste triangles I have around here. When I feel like it I use them as a leader/ender project.  I trim the dog ears but I don't care if they are wonky. I don't like the process of trimming or squaring up especially when there are hundreds and hundreds of the little buggers. I'm going to use them as is in made fabric to make my version of a vintage quilt I just love. 

So, anyway, I cleaned up the waste triangles from the binding joins. 


I used a lot of different colors and brands of quilting thread last month. I'm not a thread snob and just usually buy whatever I can find on clearance or on sale wherever. Well, anyway, leftover bobbins with thread on them was becoming difficult to match up with the proper spool of thread so I started keeping the spools in a snack baggie with the bobbins which will make it easier to start quilting next time. And those 20 baggies or so of matching spools and bobbins are now stored away in a drawer in the desk where my sewing machine sits. 

Now that most of my quilting mess has been cleaned up I'm ready to move on to garden clean up and on to some piecing.  

13 comments:

Unknown said...

Cathy, for a lot of string quilt inspiration, check out http://stringthingalong.blogspot.com/ My favorite is her post from Nov 10 2018. Sandy at sewhigh.blogspot.com

Linda said...

Love the two new String ideas. I wonder what colour background you will choose for the Kaleidoscope quilt? Whatever coloured solid you have the most of I guess! What a great clearing up session you had. How’s your sore back?

gayle said...

You always come up with the most intriguing projects!
Love those TATW blocks!

Sally Trude said...

Yikes…a squirrel just jumped from your blog into my sewing room. That kaleidoscope is awesome #1, and it admittedly took me a while to figure it out. The combination of Kaffe fabrics, polka dots and the circle embellishments screams clown…and I cannot resist a squirrel in a clown costume!

Robin said...

It looks like a lot has been happening at your house. I need to use up my leftover hst too. I love the Kaleidoscope quilt idea. The hourglasses in the middle really accent the wings of the block.

The Joyful Quilter said...

You're a pro at cleaning up fabric scraps, Cathy!!!

MissPat said...

Even a sore back can't keep a determined quilter down for long. I should have been outside doing cleanup today, but never made it. Tomorrow it's supposed to be 75, so I think outside will win the tug of war.
Pat

maggie fellow said...

oh I really like the kaleidescope string quilt

mangozz said...

I love that Kaleidoscope quilt. I've always wanted to make one and I have the ruler now. What slows me down in starting a new project, aside from all the WIPs, is deciding on a color combination and background color. Maybe you could have a quiltalong, although I don't know who would be able to keep up with you. Also, you are getting so organized that I am getting really jealous. I don't know how you keep track of where all your WIPs are. That is a real problem for me. You seem to be able to find exactly what you are looking for when you need it.

Pamela Arbour said...

Thanks for sharing your creative thoughts and organizing tips! I think you are my scrap hero!

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

I feel like you should be called *the scrap master* yep!! that is how I will refer to you from now on!

QuiltGranma said...

getting organized can sometimes seem so tedious, but well worth it in the end! Great inspiration!

Andrea said...

I love what you have done with your threads. I started that habit a few years ago and it has made a world of difference! I am better now at using up the threads on hand and sometimes even put a bobbin on the top as well as one in the machine when I am getting low on bobbins.