Tuesday, October 19, 2021

Crossed - A New String Top!

 

Crossed
57 x 76




This is the second top to come out of this year's box of strings.  

The first top, in case you missed it, was a String Star. 

When I have a big box of strings I start making tops that will use the longest strings and then I gradually make tops that use shorter and shorter strings. 

Really, anything goes when I make a string top. Most of these pieces are from quilt back trimmings or yardage ends. All colors, all widths mix and mingle and work together.  Diversity. 

Actually this is a lot like how I made quilts when I first started out. In the old days which were my younger days I never knew people actually bought fabric just to make quilts. I made clothes or curtains or pillowcases when I bought fabric. Then leftover scraps or old clothes went into making a quilt. I still have one of those old quilts I made in the 70s and one of my sisters has one as well. And I have the shirt I made of one of the fabrics to match! 

And on to the next! I wonder how many more string quilts are in that box of strings.



16 comments:

Linda said...

I liked Crossed when you made it in white but the red makes it really dramatic. Wow! Several more quilts to appear from the string box, I’m sure, Cathy..

Quiltdivajulie said...

I love this one with the red background - much more fun that the one with white. This is just grand!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

I love that one with the red background! I'm saving that pattern. :)

Lesley Gilbert said...

I liked your 1st one but I love this one with the red corners :)

The Joyful Quilter said...

That vibrant red background works SEW well with your strings, Cathy!!

mangozz said...

Years ago, I never would have thought that I would one day, actually be buying so much fabric specifically for quilts. Like you, I used to make clothing mostly, and when I had a bunch of scraps saved up I started to make a quilt. The scraps were everything you could imagine - rayon, polyester, much heavier fabrics too - whatever I had in scraps. Never, would I have considered buying new fabric for quilting. How things have changed!

Linda @ kokaquilts said...

Very striking, I love the red background! Must save this link for my 'to do' list!

Julie in GA said...

I liked your version of this pattern with the white background, but this one is even better! I love the red background!

Ann said...

Red backgrounds make everything better. Such a beauty!

gayle said...

Oh, that red background really sets it all off! Wow!
(You always remind me of one of those stage magicians who start pulling silk handkerchiefs out of the air and end up knee-deep in bright colors. How many quilts will you end up with, indeed...)

Cathy said...

Oh, I just love the wonky riot of color! That block is on my list for 2022. The red background is so bold and cheery!

maggie fellow said...

I like it with red as the background too

QuiltGranma said...

That red is so PERFECT for this! Love it!

Paulette said...

I love the red background, it really makes the strings sing!

Kaja said...

Can't beat red for this sort of thing - holds it all together beautifully.

audrey said...

This is a fantastic use of strings! Very inspirational.:)