Monday, November 1, 2021

Some Assembly Required

Antique Tiles
9 inch finished.
This has been one of my Rainbow Scrap Challenge (RSC) projects this year. 
My goal was 63 blocks for a 7 x 9 layout. 

I just finished the last six blocks and now I've met my goal! 

Now this complete block set will go into the "Some Assembly Required" (SAR) box to be assembled at some later date. 


Double Irish Chain
9 inch finished blocks

This has been one of my Rainbow Scrap Challenge (RSC) projects this year. 
My goal was 63 blocks for a 7 x 9 layout. 

I just finished the last eight blocks and now I've met my goal! 

My original intent was to add scrappy sashing  and dark brown stones to continue the chain but I now think that looks too dark and clunky.

How about colored stones with a brown center to continue the chains? Hmmm, that's better but I'm still not liking it all that much. 

How about extending the sashing and have just one stone? Well, I kind of like it but now the colored chains are broken up between blocks. Maybe I will just not add sashing. I don't really like sashing blocks anyway. I guess I have time to think about it because guess where this complete block set is going. 

You guessed it! The SAR box! 


And speaking of complete block sets...someone sent me 48 eight inch blocks. They are evidently a Missouri Star pattern called River Log Cabin. I'm showing four of them above. That's how I will assemble them someday. They will make a nice donation quilt 48 x 64. 

But for now those blocks are going into the SAR box to be assembled at some later date. 

I also received lots of 12 inch (finished) blocks. Some appear to be designed by Lori Holt (Farm Girl Vintage?)  Not sure who would go to the trouble to make all those blocks and then pass them on to someone who passed them on but they will make a nice donation quilt. I picked out 15 blocks and will set them in 3 columns of 5 with some sashing between columns. 

But for now I've bundled together those 15 blocks and put them in the SAR box. 

I also pulled out twelve 12 inch blocks that looked kind of Star-ish or had several points. I'm thinking I will add a one inch border around the blocks to make them 14 inches and then will set them 3 x 4 for a donation quilt 42 x 56. I may add a little border at top and bottom so I end up at least at 60 inches in length. 

But for now those blocks are bundled together and in the SAR box. 
The rest of the 12 inch blocks I put into the orphan block box (orphanage). 

The SAR box was pretty full to begin with. It's an old Dell desktop computer box I brought home from work years ago. It's nice and heavy and has "handles" on the sides.



Now the box is really full!

So I might as well make it my November One Monthly Goal (OMG) to assemble at least one top from the SAR box. 

I took inventory and the SAR box now contains:

Dove in the Window
Grandmother's Flower Garden 
Sixteen Patch
Single Wedding Ring
Sunny Lanes
Peacock Feathers
Animal Crackers II
Antique Tiles
Double Irish Chain
River Log Cabin
Farm Girl Vintage blocks
"Stars" (12 inch)





 

6 comments:

Quiltdivajulie said...

Re the Irish Chain, I vote no sashing or cornerstones! That SAR box is filled with scrappy goodness, that's for sure!

Linda said...

A lot of sorting out accomplished and lots of projects to decide between!

The Joyful Quilter said...

ONE top from the SAR box sounds like a manageable goal, Cathy. Best of luck!

gayle said...

So basically the SAR Box = Treasure Chest. Wow!

christina said...

It's always great seeing how you get enough blocks for a quilt together. Suggestion for the double Irish chain setting: in the second option you auditioned, use fewer colors. In the four blocks you show, use green between them. It will simplify the look and kind of make it look woven with the green "on top" of the other colored chains.

QuiltGranma said...

No eest for the quilt maker! Especially when she has lots of pieces blocks to play with. Perhaps you need to put the names of each on individual pieces of paper, put them in a box and draw one to work on. That would make the decision easier for which one to work on.