Wednesday, November 3, 2021

Nine Patch November: Path and Stiles



I've found it helpful to move "stuff" forward in the sewing room to devote each month to a theme of my choice. In August I worked on orphan block reduction. In September I worked only on quilting. In October I worked on string reduction. Except for September when I only did quilting I did work on other things besides the theme. I declare it Nine Patch November here in the sewing room. I have a bin of 3 inch Nine Patches from years of swapping and I am already in the midst of three different quilts that will make use of them.  I also have a bin of  6 inch Nine Patches that I made last year as one of the blocks to empty the 2.5 inch scrap bin. I have also been making 6 inch Nine Patches when I have had 2.5 inch scraps left over from other projects. The bin is full and I have divided those Nine Patches up into several different piles for several different quilts. I will work on some of those in November too. 

I just finished all of these Path and Stiles blocks that finish at 9 inches. I've been using 3 inch Nine Patches for the centers and have been trying to match fabrics from my stash (scrap chunks if I can) to finish the blocks. 

I started these a few months ago and now have 55 of them. I think they would look good in a big bed quilt so am aiming for 100 Path and Stiles blocks. 

I think I'm also going to try to sneak in some work with rose themed fabrics in November. I've been assembling a top that uses rose themed fabrics and I have had a bin of dark rose themed fabric scraps just waiting to be used. I know what I'm going to do with those scraps. I just need to do. 

 

10 comments:

Julie in GA said...

I can't wait to see what you do with all your 9-patch blocks! I know you will end up with some fantastic quilts!

Nann said...

Nine Patch November will be a great month for you, Cathy.

Linda said...

Another Monthly Marathon for November, now dealing with your stash of 9 patches. I’m looking forward to seeing what you produce.

Libby in TN said...

Ooh, I like that concept. I can do Four-patch February in 2022! How about Jammin' in January?

---"Love" said...

You've been showing us some nice work lately, and those nine-patch blocks today look really great! ---"Love"

Connie said...

Love your blocks and the fabric, they look so old fashioned and comfy.

The Joyful Quilter said...

Congrats on finishing up your blocks!!

Ann said...

What a treat to see how many ways you can make nine-patches into something else! You are always so prolific and inspirational.

Linda @ kokaquilts said...

There's always something happening at yours that catches my eye, so inspirational. Thank you!

gayle said...

I am absolutely in love with your Path & Stiles blocks! Nine patches are such a joy to play with!