Sunday, November 14, 2021

Nine Patch November: Nine Patches and Snowballs

Nine Patches and Snowballs
60 x 72
It's a flimsy!



This month I decided to reduce my three and six inch Nine Patch inventory so have declared it Nine Patch November at my house. 
This is the third quilt top I have made this month with six inch Nine Patches. (I previously made Sister's Choice and Framed Nine Patch tops in the 40 x 60 size).

I think this setting for Nine Patches and Snowballs looks like flowers. In my garden I have a few multicolor flowers that come in a range of colors from peach, yellow, apricot, pink, orange to dark red. I had those in mind when I made this quilt. 

I used red and yellow six inch Nine Patches from the Parts Department. I made most of those last year as one of my last blocks to empty out a 2.5 inch scrap bin that had been full for years. 

Most of the Snowballs came from wide backing scraps. I was going to make all of the corners of the snowballs with orange scraps but I didn't have enough orange scraps (I didn't want to cut up the larger scrap chunks- just wanted to use little bits and pieces) so threw in some scraps of reds and yellows and pinks for the corners too. 



Although I still have quite a few six inch Nine Patches I think this may be the last top I'll make this month from the six inch Nine Patches.  I'm trying to complete a couple of block sets made with the 3 inch Nine Patches before month end.

And on to the next!


 

24 comments:

Gretchen Weaver said...

This flimsy beautiful! I love the yellow and reds together, so bright and happy! Happy stitching!

Vivian said...

Lovely and I can see those flowers you are channelling. Extremely effective use of color! Great way to empty those block and scrap bins.

Linda Swanekamp said...

It is blooming lovely! Great finish.

Julierose said...

This is just so beautiful!! :))) I love the colors--nice work hugs, Julierose
P.S. I may have to give this one a try...looks like a fun project...

Linda said...

Love the Snowballs and Nine Patch combination. Pretty colour choices too.

christina said...

I don't know if it's your colours or the way you've arranged them, but this top is surprisingly stunning considering it is made from two very simple blocks! Wow!! I agree--the top reminds me of flowers too.

JCH said...

So brite and cheery! Another one on my list! :)

Quiltdivajulie said...

This is one of the prettiest snowballs/nine-patches I think I've seen. Your image of the flower garden really carries through!

Sylvia@Treadlestitches said...

Gorgeous top, great colors, and lots of yummy scraps! Perfect!

Rebecca Grace said...

So beautiful! I'm always amazed by how much I love quilts that alternate two different blocks like yours -- the whole is so much more than the sum of the parts Snowball and 9-Patch. This makes me want to dive into my own scrap bins that are busting at the seams...

Nann said...

Love the color progression!

Sally Trude said...

Your use of colors with this quilt is amazing…making it look like a much more complex block. And I was just starting to need a welcome to spring.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

This is such a great design, and really happy colors! I think you perfectly achieved the look you were going for!

Ivani said...

Two simple blocks and you made a beautiful flimsy! Love it!

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

Oh my! This is so tempting!!

I really like how this one turned out. And the blocks are so very simple. Thanks for linking with Oh Scrap!

Kathy S. said...

Love the warm color choices. Just another fantastic flimsy for you! Well done.

The Joyful Quilter said...

Your new quilt top is simple yet stunning, Cathy. LOVE the way it appears to be glowing!

Angela said...

Those warm reds and yellows really work well together. So many great quilts come from a nine patch base.

mangozz said...

I love the way you set the blocks so that it's shaded into the next color/row and the diagonal setting too. I always liked these 2 blocks together but this has got to be one of my favorite Snowball and 9-Patch quilts. I never would have thought to use the blocks like this. It is especially amazing since you don't have a design wall.

Jan Snell said...

Really lovely! What size did you cut the corner squares to flip for the snowball blocks?

Quilter Kathy said...

So so pretty! It really looks like a beautiful garden!

Juliana said...

I don't know why this quilt is so pleasing, but it is! I know it's your color choices, but it's more than that. Your arrangement of your blocks is very harmonious and very happy-making.

QuiltGranma said...

Lovely colors together, and uses up more of those 9-patches beautifully.

cindythequilter said...

I really love this top. Two such simple blocks but when combined they are amazing. Your use of color is great too! Love your gardens!