Sunday, November 7, 2021

Two Finishes

Two Quilts Finished!


This one is a string quilt - one of many I made last month. I chose to quilt this one because I'm trying to get into the habit of choosing backings and getting quilts quilted as tops are made. (Yeah, good luck with that, Cathy)!
This one is 44 x 63. 

After I showed you a photo of the finished top last month a commenter said she thought it needed a border. I'm glad she voiced her opinion and although I am not one who likes to add borders to quilts I had to agree with her. So I added borders.  

One of the reasons I don't like to add borders is because I usually don't have yardage of any length to do so. Back when I bought a lot of fabric for my retirement fund I bought mostly 1/2 yards.  I wished I had enough orange polka dot fabric left for a border but I didn't. I found an old piece of orange with feathers left over from when I made a Feather Bed quilt back in 2016 that was not quite enough for the border so I filled in with a multicolor stripe. 

The pieced back. 

Happy Blocks in a school theme. 
40 x 60

Happy blocks can be made in all sizes depending upon what scraps are on hand. These have 6.5 inch centers and 2.5 inch sides and finish at 10 inches. 

I have several partial sets of Happy Blocks. I used to make a few when I had scraps left over from other projects.  So this one was a UFO. I think I only had to make two or three more blocks for a top. That was easy since I still have a little drawer of school themed fabric. And to think I bought a lot of it back when the grandkids and their generation were starting school. My oldest grandchild just turned 17 on Halloween. 

I quilted both quilts with spirals on my DSM. That's the first thing I tried when I started free motion quilting and now it is my quick and easy "go to" when I sit down to quilt donation quilts. 


These will be donated to Quilts Beyond Borders and go toward the Fat Quarter Challenge.   The center orange polka dot on the string quilt was the equivalent of a couple of fat quarters. And in the Happy Blocks there are several repeats of the same fabric in the centers equivalent to a fat quarter. 

And this one also has a pieced back. 


 

15 comments:

Julierose said...

Both lovely finishes; of course I am partial to the string quilt --orange polka dotted fabric--whee!!--;))) I like that border addition too...
Nice works hugs, Julierose

Linda said...

Two great finishes. I’m glad you decided to sew up a stash of Happy blocks, they make a lovely cheerful quilt. Yes, the pieced border really finishes off the String quilt beautifully.

grammajudyb said...

Love these finishes! So bright and happy!

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

Great finishes Cathy. I always enjoy seeing the colors and fabrics you put together. So inspiring!

Thanks for sharing with Oh Scrap!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Those are bright and happy finishes! I'm not much for putting on borders either, but sometimes the quilt really needs it. Someone is going to love both of those!

sandi s said...

I love the pieced borders and back for your string quilt! Both quilts are beautiful! Hugs,

mangozz said...

The string quilt really looks good with the borders, and I like the purple inset pieces too. It adds a lot of interest and looks like you did it on purpose. I would love to do some sewing but I haven't had any time for awhile now. I have been taking care of some things that need to be done. I think I am going through withdrawal. (quilting withdrawal that is)

The Joyful Quilter said...

Congrats on your latest TWO quilt finishes, Cathy!! I'm glad to know that I'm not the only on who calls her fabric stash my retirement fund. :o))

karenbbsnow said...

Beautiful finishes, fun and colourful.

Ann said...

Two beautiful orange fabrics in the string quilt. Those are always fun choices. So lively. This one needed the border you added.
I prefer to work all the way through from top to finished quilt and do that most of the time. I don’t have to find a place to store the top and it’s ready to gift whenever the mood strikes.

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

Wonderful finishes! I too am partial to the string quilt. . .I've been playing with strings myself. . .I'm finding them addicting little elements!!!

QuiltGranma said...

Love that string quilt. It did not look big enough without the borders, and I'm glad you took my suggestion and made it great! Love the scrappy border.

Pamela Arbour said...

Love them both! Who cares if the borders aren't the same? They are scrap quilts! I went the other way when trying to build my retirement stash. I bought about 6 yards of everything when it was on sale. I'm still working on it! LOL

Nann said...

The striped inserts in the border make it so much more interesting. Yes, a half yard usually isn't enough. But taking a chance and buying 1-1/2 or 2-yard pieces means that some fabrics hang around forever. (Which may be justification for sticking to 1-yard cuts? Am I trying to convince myself?)

Vivian said...

Love the string quilt! I like the scrappy pieced backing too, really complements the front. That Happy Blocks quilt will make some child very happy too!