Thursday, November 18, 2021

Before-I-Forgets

Sometimes one thing leads to another around here. And when I think of what I should do with these scraps or that and an idea pops into my head I make a few blocks of said ideas before I forget about those ideas.   I try a few blocks and then decide if said ideas were good ones or so-so ones. 

I call those blocks I make "Before-I-Forgets". 

You know I've been working on six and three inch Nine Patch reduction this month. You may or may not also know that I love vintage quilts and so have lots of pictures of ones I've come across that I would like to make.   

Above is a block I wanted to try with some civil war reproduction scraps. It has a nine patch center.   

I think the block above is called Kentucky Crossroads; however, the picture I found (sorry, I forget to save where I saw it) called it Cross and Crown.  Well, anyway, I could not find a good pattern for it so I made one up. I like how it turned out but it turned out a weird size - 8 3/4 unfinished. That's okay with me because I'd rather have a weird size unfinished block than cut weird sized pieces in order to make a standard sized block. 

Well, here's the photo of the vintage quilt and my notes on making it. I wish I had enough cheddar for the background but I don't so I will use muslin for the background. 

While I was digging around in the box of civil war reproduction scraps to make Kentucky Crossroads I thought I might as well see what I could do to reduce that box of scraps. It's a BIG box of scraps. 


There's a bag of 2.5 inch width scraps. I found another vintage quilt photo I've wanted to try and thought I could use the 2.5 inch scrap bag for the squares for these blocks that alternate the placement of Quarter Square Triangles (QSTs) and Squares. I used 1.5 inch scraps to make the 2.5 inch unfinished QSTs. I cut them using the EZ Companion Angle ruler. 

I like how these look so I'll continue on. I will call this QST Nine Patch. 

I have a lot of wider 4.5 inch civil war repro scraps so looked around in a couple of books for ideas. I've made a couple of these Spiraling Flying Geese in the past and like how they turned out. So thought I would make another. 

Found in the book "History Repeated" by Betsy Chutchian and Carol Staehle. 

These are a quick make and I'll have 90 Flying Geese made in no time. Not sure what I will use for the "spiraling" fabric. I'll figure that out later. 

I also use the EZ Companion Angle ruler to cut fabric for the Flying Geese body. When I do that I first cut the beginning of the piece with the EZ Easy Angle ruler so it can be used to make an HST later.  The Flying Geese wings are cut with the EZ Easy Angle ruler. 

I went ahead and used those cuts to make 4.5 inch finished HSTs I will just put in the Parts Department for now. 

I also made little HSTs left over from making the QST Nine Patch blocks and then sewed them into strips of five.  I'm not really concerned if they end up wonky. I don't like trimming all that much and just snip of a few dog ears. 

I've been slowly sewing together waste triangles into strips for a quilt like the one above. 

While I was browsing through my "History Repeated" book I saw this photo of a Double Nine Patch quilt. Goodness gracious...I have a LOT of brown scraps. And I have some little 3 inch brown Nine Patches. Maybe I should make a quilt like this. 

I made a few "Before-I-Forgets" with some of the Nine Patches I had on hand. More to come. 

Still with Nine Patches in my mind I decided to try the Buckeye Beauty variation that combines little Nine Patches instead of Four Patches with HSTs.  How about I look at what I have for '30s reproduction scraps.  (There's a LOT of them). I made a couple of blocks but can clearly see I need to add in some solids, ginghams, polka dots and shirts or I will go cross eyed. 

Since these blocks uses 3.5 and 1.5 inch pieces I pulled out some '30s scraps that were at least 5 inches wide to use to make these blocks. 

In the '30s scraps I found a bag of 2.5 inch width scraps and a baggie of 2.5 inch squares. In the bag was the Ocean Waves pattern from Quilter's Cache I used to make my Ocean Waves quilt that is still in the hand quilting pile. That was started in 2014 and the top was finished in 2018 so these scraps are pretty old. 

I made a few HSTs and then made a Carpenter Star that finishes at 16 inches. I probably have enough scraps in that bag and baggie for 12 blocks so that's what will happen to those scraps. 

There's also a bunch of 3.5 inch width scraps. 

How about some 8 Patches?  I have been making some of these with the general population of scraps when I have them so I'm not sure if I'll combine these made with '30s with the general population or not. I'll use up the scraps and see how many I end up with. 

Depending upon the length of the 3.5 inch scraps if there is not enough for an 8 Patch then I just will make Four Patches for the Parts Department. 

And finally, while looking through the '30s repro scraps I came across a little pile of prints with animals and kids. I thought I would combine them with a little pile of solids and make these blocks that finish at 5 inches. Sixty-four of them should make a cute little baby quilt. 

Of course I had a photo of a vintage quilt or what I think is a vintage quilt. Anyway, I figured out how to cut pieces if I made blocks of 1.5 inch strips or 2.5 inch strips and opted for the 1.5 inch strips because I just have little bits of solids to use to make these blocks. 

 

22 comments:

Sharon M said...

All I can say is WOW!! You have such vision!! You are an inspiration. Thank you.

Quiltdivajulie said...

And I thought I was bad about having more ideas than I will ever make!!!! I love looking at vintage quilts and imagining the possibilities. What a terrific post!

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

I love the quilt with the rows of 5 triangle squares in the vertical position.

gayle said...

Oh, good gravy - I swear you should post a warning about ***Squirrels Ahead***
My to-do list just got longer...

Libby in TN said...

I'm with you; I'd rather work with an odd-size block than cut odd-size pieces! All your ideas are wonderful. Gayle is right -- squirrels -- especially the Spiraling Geese.

---"Love" said...

I love that first block and quilt! Makes me want to dig out my surplus Civil War fabric, maybe after Christmas? It made a beautiful quilt! ---"Love"

Janette said...

I always look forward to your posts, so many great ideas. I don't know how you manage to finish so many.

Linda said...

Good heavens! So many plans and ideas, how do you do it?

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

I really like your "Before I Forgets" idea! And to have a photo with notes to stick in with the blocks is another good one. Love the Carpenter's Star block especially!

Elle said...

I love how you observe your scraps and choose quilt blocks to make over time. Your plan for 2022 is developing quickly! Looks like another year of piecing after this amazing year of quilting/finishing!

Cheers and happy TGIF!

Sharon Kwilter said...

All wonderful ideas. You have such wonderful scraps. Mine are way more misc.

Laura said...

Wow! Love those cheddar and chocolate quilts!
Thanks for all of the inspiration! :)

audrey said...

Your before-i-forgets work marvelously for you! Love the vintage inspiration as well. I think your hst strippy one has inspired me too!:)

Quilter Kathy said...

OH my! So much inspiration! Love that Carpenter star!

Kay said...

Love your inspirations for scrap busting. You have certainly inspired me. One of my plans for 2022 quilting is doing a lot of scrappy quilts. I see lots of creative fun in my future. Thanks.

The Joyful Quilter said...

FUN!!! Definitely don't want to forget these wonderful quilt projects, Cathy!!!

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Wow!! there is a lot of inspiration in this post! you have great plans and projects and forget me nots!!! Impressive!

Nann said...

"Down the rabbit trail with Cathy." LOL. Thanks for sharing how you formulate your quilt designs.

QuiltGranma said...

Oh what fun you are having playing with your paint box of fabrics!

Mystic Quilter said...

Such a lot of ideas here!! I love the last photo you have with the triangles in sets of five, beautiful use of scraps.

Mystic Quilter said...

Ooops Cathy - of course the triangles quilt is N OT your last photo - you have so many things on the go, you must have energy to burn!Isn't it amazing what we can find in bags or boxes tucked away in our fabric stash.

Julierose said...

those last 30's blocks made with strips is really grand!! I love how it looks so vintage--nice way to use those strips...hugs, Julierose