Wednesday, November 17, 2021

It's a Finish! Dashing Through the '30s

Dashing Through the '30s
It's a finish!

92 x 92

13.5 inch Churn Dash Variation blocks in '30s reproduction fabrics. 
Hey, this is one I actually made from yardage and not from scraps!
But I did use the scraps from making this quilt in Ribbon Candy which was finished in January of this year. 

Red polka dot and red gingham borders. 

Big stitch hand quilted with perle cotton #8 in a variety of colors that match the colors in the blocks. 


I don't normally like square quilts but they work fine on our bed. I can rotate it because any side can be the top or bottom. 


I used muslin on the back. The back of bed quilts don't need to be fancy. And I kind of like it that my hand stitching shows up. 

Now since this quilt is finished and handy I can take it with us on our trip in a couple of days. We have to take our own bedding with us. We are going to meet up with five of my husband's seven siblings and their spouses in a cabin we rented for the occasion - an early Thanksgiving with family from North Carolina, Texas, Illinois and Iowa. 

We will leave early Friday morning and be back Monday afternoon. It is approximately a six hour round trip so now I need to get something pin basted and in the hoop ready for some hand quilting in the car. 
 

13 comments:

gayle said...

I love this so much! Such a bright and happy quilt!
I like square quilts because you can't put them on the bed wrong way round. I can't tell you how many times I've spread out a quilt only to find I've got it on the bed sideways, gathered it up and re-spread it, only to find I've done it wrong again...

Julierose said...

You've done such a great job matching up those 30's prints!! I have a few and find them hard to work with...lovely finish hugs, Julierose

Laura said...

A cabin with family...sounds wonderful!

Love the quilt...makes me want to take it on a picnic! :)

swooze said...

Safe travels! Where are you going?

bookworm said...

What a lovely quilt! I hope you have a great time.

sandi s said...

I love your quilt, it is lovely! Hugs,

The Joyful Quilter said...

Super cute hand quilted finish, Cathy!!

Anonymous said...

I love this quilt and especially the name you gave it.

Melisa- pinkernpunkinquilting said...

This is such a beautiful cheerful quilt. Well done!!!

Linda said...

Hope you have a great trip meeting up with family this weekend. Love your latest quilt finish. The blocks are super and I love the gingham border. 🤗

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Ohhhh LOVE this one!! I like that you can see your quilting on the back too!! Its really cool! Enjoy your trip and have a lot of fun!!!

O'Quilts said...

Me too, Me too...I love this quilt xo

QuiltGranma said...

I prefer square quilts for that same reason, the patterns isn't directional, and can be turned any which way, wearing out the edges evenly. BEAUTIFUL, and all the family when they see it will want one if they have a brain in their heads!