Monday, December 4, 2017

Homespun Fun


I really like the Bonnie Hunter Mystery quilts. I've made a few of them but haven't made any the last couple of years. I thought this year I might join in but the more I thought about it the more I decided not to. I love the color scheme this year but don't have enough of those colors in my stash and I'm not good at changing colors unless I know what the final quilt looks like. I don't want to buy more fabric until I use a LOT of what I have.  I also don't need another UFO to add to my list.   So...  I do know that the Bonnie Hunter mysteries involve making a lot of individual units. I told myself I'd make the units she calls for in  each clue but make them for one of my UFOs in order to move a UFO forward. 

Clue 1 called for 50 nine patches.   I made 60.  Her clue called for 3 inch nine patches but I made six inch.   I used homespuns and muslin.  That navy on top is fabric left over from curtains I made for my youngest son's room when he was in high school and he's 33 years old now so that fabric has been around quite awhile. 



Long ago I participated in a Friendship Star swap. Stars are made of homespun fabrics with a muslin background.  I have thirty eight stars so will have to make a few more.  I'll use the fabric scraps left over from making the variety of nine patches. 
I will combine the nine patches and stars and move this UFO forward. 



16 comments:

gayle said...

Very clever of you!

Linda said...

Great idea to move your UFOs forward in this way. Love the combination of 9 patches and Friendship Stars.

Libby in TN said...

Your homespun quilt will be so cheerful. Good idea to use Bonnie's clue as inspiration! I did something similar last year with the Rainbow Scrap Challenge; I picked a UFO that was predominantly the color of the month and finished it.

Linda @ kokaquilts said...

A clever way to make some progress on an unfinished project! Love your fabric choice!

Mary said...

I agree with every, a great idea to sew along and finish up your own projects. I might not have joined in except for a large piece of coral fabric that will finally find a home.

mangozz said...

What a great idea to use Bonnie's clues to keep yourself motivated and productive! And you can always print out the clues and make the quilt after the reveal, since it's a free pattern. Your quilt with the 9-patches and Friendship stars together looks really good. Nice colors, and combining them for a faster finish makes sense. Are you going to top your own record for finishes this year?

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

Great idea to add those 9 patches to your UFO. I really like where this project is headed!

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

What a fun way to finish your UFOS!! and Plaid... you had me at plaid! It is awsome!

Louise said...

Fun block combination! When I first started quilting, I couldn't understand why people used homespuns. They've really grown on me, though, and now I have a batch sitting in my studio ready for stitching.

Ann said...

What a clever way to finish your UFOs and participate in a mystery. I love it.

Glen QuiltSwissy said...

I really love the idea of using the clues to fill in for blocks in a UFO.....I have so many UFOs I really need to do that. Why didn't I think of that......you are just too smart.

Cathy said...

Definitely a great way to move things along. Since I didn’t have to buy (or should I say would not buy) any fabric for the BH mystery, I’m pleased that I’m using scraps and chunks of leftover fabrics. Love the combo of nine patches and Friendship Stars in homespun!

Ellen said...

Great concept to getting blocks made and still feel like you are joining in the fun!

Kaja said...

What a clever idea, you get the fun of joining in and make progress with UFOs at the same time.

Betty C said...

I like your way of thinking!

Christina said...

Yay for making progress on a UFO! It is going to look great, and I love the follow along that you have created with Bonnie Hunter's mystery.