Saturday, December 2, 2017

All That Glitters Is Not Gold


Yahoo! I now have 152 Glitter Blocks and can start assembling a top.  Actually, I think that will be my OMG (One Monthly Goal) for December. 


Instructions for making a Glitter quilt are found in Jen Kingwell's book Quilt Lovely. 


I made a few of these each month from 3.5 inch scraps with the nine patch points, center and corners usually in the Rainbow Scrap Challenge color of the month.   Gayle at Mangofeet had some tips on making Glitter templates and some ideas for efficient cutting so she was the one that gave me the idea to use my 3.5 inch scraps.   I'd still be dithering about which fabrics to use in each block if I didn't limit myself to what's in the scrap bin. My decisions are made for me.  Plus with the Rainbow Scrap Challenge I only have to make a few fiddly blocks each month based on the number of scraps I have in the 3.5 inch scrap bin.  

As you can see I still have a lot of 3.5 inch scraps and I really haven't added very many this year.  Next year I will continue to make snowballs and bow ties from these scraps. Plus I've been making 3.5 inch rails from my 1.5 inch scraps but next year I'll also use these scraps and just cut two 1.5 inch pieces for the rails.   I don't have anything else in mind for the 3.5 inch scraps next year - maybe I'll make some four patches or HSTs for the Parts Department. 


18 comments:

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

That's going to be a fun and scrappy quilt! Congratulations on getting all those blocks made!

Jeanne said...

I have Glitter bookmarked for later next year, some other stuff to wrap up first. Love yours!

Shelina (formerly known as Shasta) said...

They may not all be a gold color, but definitely gold in value. Yay! You have all the blocks done! Congrats! I am still sitting at one block. It's such a pretty quilt. I look forward to seeing yours put together.

gayle said...

Wow! You're at 152 ALREADY? You are a dynamo! (I need to get my Glittery bits out and get busy!) (You're also an inspiration!)

Linda said...

152 blocks total is amazing! I look forward to seeing them made up into a quilt. It looks as though you will have lots of 3.5" scraps to use next year.

Cathy said...

...but...but.... It seems like you just started these! How did you get to 152 already?!? Are they multiplying when you turn off the lights?! Regardless, I really look forward to seeing these come together!

The Joyful Quilter said...

Oh, scraps!! Best of luck on getting your quilt blocks sewn into a top. Sounds like a good goal for this month's OMG project!

Sherrie said...

Hi,
Going to be a beautiful quilt when done.
Have a great day!

Quilter Kathy said...

This will be an amazing quilt and I can't wait to see it!

Linda @ kokaquilts said...

That'a an amazing number of blocks, well done! This is going to look wonderful, it's a great way to use up those precoius scraps!

Katie Z. said...

Way to go!

cityquilter grace said...

gorgeous blocks, terrific book! i've got midnight at the oasis waiting....

mangozz said...

Wow - you sew really fast! That is going to be a gorgeous quilt. I hope it's for you. Hand quilting maybe?

Patty said...

What a gorgeous quilt! Thanks for linking up with Elm Street Quilts One Monthly Goal and good luck with your project.

works4me said...

That is going to be a beautiful quilt.

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

Your method of scrap storage and usage always intrigues me because it is the exact opposite of mine. It definitely must work because you sure make beautiful and inspiring quilts from it!

Cathy Tomm said...

Wow you think you can start putting the blocks together in o a top. Love this quilt, might have to start one myself.

Kate said...

Those glitter blocks are beautiful! That's going to be such a fun scrappy quilt. Good luck with your OMG for December.