Tuesday, December 5, 2017

Gallimaufry and Thingamajigs

Gallimaufry

It's no secret that I'm inspired by a lot of vintage scrappy quilts.  I tried a few 4 inch blocks after I was inspired by a quilt for sale at Rocky Mountain Quilts.   I love all of the secondary patterns that can be seen in the quilt.  I'm not interested in buying - just interested in making my own. And so I think I have the little blocks figured out and now will continue to make more.  Nann at With Strings Attached suggested a few weeks ago that Gallimaufry would be a good name for some of my scrappy concoctions because that's what came to mind when she saw some of them.  Nann is a librarian so she knows all those fancy words but I didn't know if she was giving me a compliment, making fun of my quilts or just thought I could use a little learnin'. I had to look up the word so I could remember it longer.  Thanks, Nann. That's a good name for this quilt wannabe. 

Thingamajigs
I made a couple more of these Thingamajigs inspired by vintage blocks I saw on Flickr.  After screwing around trying to figure out how to make the block I decided they were just an Ohio Star variation. But now that I look back at the photo I'm not so sure these blocks are connecting quite the same as those in the picture. But that's okay. I'm going to continue on like this. 


The plan is to use my 1.5 inch scraps to make these blocks.  After I use a scrap for each block plus make Rainbow Scrap Challenge rail fence and Whatchamacallit blocks  if there is any left of the piece  I'm going to put it in the Spider Web quilt box so I can continue on with that quilt. 

And that's how really scrappy quilts are usually made around here - one scrap goes into many quilts. 

12 comments:

Mayleen said...

I'm really liking the red Thingamajig! Wish I weren't working on deadline projects or I'd try a few blocks myself.

Janie said...

Nice scrappy look to your Thingamajig design.
I looked at the Flickr vintage blocks. They look to be
almost an Ohio Star but there's a little turn in the hourglass
blocks that changes it up a little. And the center square looks
to be set on point in relation to the hourglass blocks.
I wonder where those blocks are from, the mid west?
That would be an interesting story.

Linda @ kokaquilts said...

I love both of those vintage quilts, scrappy delights! The first one seems to alternate a simple 4patch with the HST blpcks, very clever! Love your versions too.

Linda @ kokaquilts said...

p.s. I had to look up the word too!

audrey said...

Love your thingamajibs! The red is a perfect foil for all the scrappiness.:)

Quilter Kathy said...

I love the word Gallimaufry! I had to look it up and listen to the proper pronunciation and it's even fun to say!
Perfect name for this wonderful quilt!

Cathy said...

You are inspired by everything! It amazes me what you find! ((That’s a compliment and I’m jealous, LOL). It makes my head hurt to realize how much you keep track of with all these wonderful patterns, scrap sizes, etc. My mind is officially blown.

Linda said...

Your Thingamijig blocks are great. Love the way you work through your box of scrap strings, such a good idea. Great fun to use the same scrap fabric in lots of Quilts , using every inch of fabric. I'm off to look up Gallimaufry too. Think I have an idea what it means, used in the 1500s I would think as I connect it with William Shakespeare.

Helen in the UK said...

Love both your interpretations and it was fun to see where the inspiration came from in both cases. With the Flcker blocks they seem to have been assembled in two different ways ... maybe the original quilter was trying out ideas too! Wonderful scrappy ness 😀

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

I had to go look up the word too! Your quilt is going to be amazing

gayle said...

Gallimaufry is a near perfect word! I love both the inspirational quilt blocks and these that you've made! Scrap on!

Kaja said...

Great quilt names! Even if your thingamajig blocks are not exactly like the inspiration piece they look awesome.