Monday, August 22, 2016


40 x 48

I didn't expect to receive an invitation to a baby shower yet for a baby due on Halloween but I did and with only a 10 day advance notice.  Yikes! I had to finish up this shower gift quickly.  The shower for my nephew's wife is Saturday. 

I quilted it with spirals on my DSM in a light green thread. 

I have several sets of ABCs from swaps just waiting for an announcement of a new baby. I try to mix and match and include things with meaning to the family.  Grandma (my sister) LOVES flamingos and grandpa LOVES to play golf.  My nephew proposed on Halloween dressed as a banana and his soon-to-be wife was dressed as a monkey... 

...and mom LOVES owls.   I've made several of these ABC quilts and after all is quilted I iron on the letters of the alphabet from a purchased set of letters that are kind of velvety to the touch. 

Like I said...I thought I had more time to finish up this quilt.  I was going to order some ABC fabric I found on line for the backing but instead used some polka dot fabric from stash for the backing and binding. 

With a little book on ABCs my gift is complete.  I may add a rattle or two if I get a chance to get to the store. I was going to make a little stuffed rabbit and give a copy of the Velveteen Rabbit too but like I said...time was limited!

Sunday, August 21, 2016

String Stars

I've been slowly working on hand quilting my String Stars with navy perle #8. .  There have been only a few days this summer when it was cool enough for me to work on it.  It's a large quilt and without air conditioning I start melting every time I pick it up to try to work on it.  At any rate I only have one and a half more stars to quilt. 

After the stars are quilted I have to decide how to quilt the border and those diamonds between stars. 

The stars have all been made from long string scraps. Most of those scraps were cut from leftover sides pieces of quilt backings. 

Today I woke up to a nice cool morning so I can't wait to do some quilting on this today and hopefully finish the one and a half stars.  First I have to make and can some spaghetti sauce -   tomatoes, peppers, onions, oregano, basil, parsley, garlic - all from the garden. Maybe while the sauce is simmering for 4-6 hours I'll get that stitching in and decide what to do with the diamonds and border.   

Saturday, August 20, 2016

Sunday, August 7, 2016

Meet the Ferals

Meet the Ferals (or The Cats Meow whichever you prefer)
40 x 60
It's just a top for now.
When finished it will be one of several I'll donate to a benefit in September for my son-in-law who has been in the hospital with leukemia since July 18. 

The Ferals and their cousins, The Strays, shy away from picture taking but they sent me some selfies to use in the quilt. 

I told The Ferals and The Strays that if they didn't send selfies that would be the end of Cathy's Bed and Breakfast.  They promptly replied. 

Now to just get it finished. 

Saturday, August 6, 2016

Purple/Gray 2.5

This month the Rainbow Scrap Challenge color is dusty purple or gray with acid green accents. 
This week I worked with my 2.5 inch scraps and made some six inch split nine patches which happens to be the Block Lotto block of the month. 

I mixed a few purple and gray 2.5 inch scraps and made a couple of 8 inch Depression Blocks.

Finally I made a bunch of little Pyramid Units

Friday, August 5, 2016

Two Wonky Log Tops

High as a Kite
Have a Heart

Two Wonky Log Tops

Back Story:
Carol who blogs at Giraffe Dreams offered up a box of scraps for free.  We both belong to the Sunshine Online Quilt Guild - a Yahoo Group that makes donation quilts for Wrap-A-Smile and Quilts Beyond Borders.   I usually have enough scraps of my own to sew with but thought I'd take her up on her offer. I told her it might actually be awhile before I used the scraps because all in one week I found out my son-in-law had leukemia, my granddaughter had lyme disease , my husband had a broken jaw and my oldest son lost his job.  She said that was okay- the scraps were mine to use when and how I wished.   Then last Friday the big box of scraps arrived and I dug right in and started sewing with them. Mindless sewing is just what the doctor ordered to take the mind off of all the family matters when I'm not working or watching grandkids or gardening.  Plus I challenged myself to see how many quilts I could make out of Carol's box of scraps (mixed with some of mine).  Even when mindless sewing I still like to have some sort of challenge going on.  So far the count is two. 

Have a Heart
40 x 58

 Carol sent some blue and purple strings so I combined those with mine.  I cut some 2.5 inch heart fabric centers from a red scrap and made some 9.5 inch Wonky Log blocks around the centers.  After I sewed the blocks together I added a 2.5 inch border sewn log cabin style all around to bring it up to the size I usually donate. 

High as a Kite
40 x 60

For these Wonky Logs I used the same kite fabric for the 6.5 inch centers and made fifteen 12 inch blocks. I sewed them together 3 x 5 and then added 2.5 x 12.5 inch strips to the sides to make it 40 inches wide. 

I hope to finish ONE of these quilts this month as my OMG (One Monthly Goal)
 hosted by Red Letter Quilts. 



Monday, August 1, 2016

Gwennie Inspired Medallion QAL- Log Cabin Themed Borders

For this round of the Gwennie QAL the border theme is log cabins.  For my first quilt I made lots of little 3 inch quarter log cabins with red centers and 1.5 inch neutral strips and arranged them randomly for the border. 

Some of the red centers even have little baskets in them.  

For quilt # 2 I also used 1.5 inch strips in red and brown with some yummy treats thrown in for fun and... 

... I just sewed the strips log cabin style around the entire center.

Next border looks like it will be a star theme. Hmmm...

What fun to see how everyone interprets each theme.