Thursday, April 11, 2024

A String Flimsy

It's a top!
60 x 80

Most of the strings were quilt back trimmings. 
The black center string has all sorts of positive phrases. 









It has been a rough couple of days. First the riding lawn mower had a flat tire and then it would not start. Then the internet was out for a day. Then last night our refrigerator/freezer quit working but good thing I noticed before I lost all the food. I have a chest freezer and second refrigerator in the breezeway. 

But you can't be sad or upset when doing mindless sewing with all these bright colors!

And sew on...


****
CELEBRATE! (my word of the year)

April 9 - Finished a book - Double Jeopardy by Sheldon Siegel.  It is book #14 in the Mike Daley/Rosie Fernandez legal thriller series.   I've read all 14 in the series so far and I think I have two more to go.  I didn't think this one was as good as some of the others in the series. 

April 10 - Worked out in the gardens most of the day-- planting and weeding and clearing beds. For a long time  I watched a flower fly aka hoverfly (they look like little bees but aren't harmful and are important pollinators) that landed on my arm. I must be a lot sweeter than I look because it spent a long time licking my arm. Or maybe it was the salty sweat?   I also spotted a Tiger Swallowtail butterfly. They are so beautiful.   I also harvested asparagus and had it for dinner. 



 

11 comments:

gayle said...

Gorgeous quilt top! I love all the happy colors dancing across it!
And thanks for the hoverfly heads-up, too. (I'd always thought they were just tiny little peaceful bees...) I went looking for more info and found out that their larvae eat aphids - they're just all kinds of little heroes!

Helenchaffin said...

Luv the quilt top! I first seen little hover flies at my nieces & thought they were baby bees🤣

Linda said...

Your bright mixture of string quilts hass turned into a lovely happy quilt. There are many ways to make them: using all neutrals, narrowing the colour choices in each block, changing the shape of the string box by using all squares or all rectangles for the paper foundation etc . I wonder which type you will make next? Asparagus looks enviting.

Pamela Arbour said...

I have made several string quilts, but yours look way better than mine. Mine pretty much all look the same. After seeing yours, I think I know what I am doing wrong. Yours is stunning. Your asparagus looks so scrumptious. We started growing asparagus this spring, but I'm thinking it will take a long time to get results. We have never tried to grow them before.

Beth H said...

Oh yum!! Asparagus is the best! I wonder if my dad's asparagus is still valiantly coming up every year... at the house my parents sold probably 14 years ago...
I miss that house and my (Iowa born) dad's gardens.

Nann said...

Oh, fresh asparagus. We planted it in the garden in Auburn, Maine where it took root and flourished. Moved to North Dakota, planted it, and it didn't work. The difference is that the soil in Maine was granite sand; in North Dakota thick clay (called gumbo). Haven't tried it in Illinois, but it's clay here, too.........Meanwhile, I spied some of that home dec bright stripe in your cheerful string quilt. (It's gonna turn up over and over again.)

MissPat said...

Wow, sorry you've had a challenging week with equipment failures. But that string quilt is a winner and what I wouldn't give for some homegrown, fresh asparagus. The pencil thin stuff the grocery store sells is hardly worth the effort. Rain here and likely most of next week. Ugh.
Pat

Sherrill said...

LOVE your string quilt! Beautiful colors and that black center in each block just amplifies everything. String quilts are so fun.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

What a happy Flimsy!!
and yay for fresh asparagus!!

quiltingbydawn said...

Beautiful string quilt! I love how the black string centers the bright colors! I gotta make a string quilt! I have some many strings my bin is overflowing!

Mystic Quilter said...

Oh wow Cathy, I LOVE this bright, bright quilt top! Hope you enjoyed the asparagus, bet it was delicious.