Tuesday, April 2, 2024

Strings and Things

For April the theme in my sewing space is Strings and Things. I'm mostly going to concentrate on using up a big box of strings -- most of them quilt back trimmings as well as uneven ends of yardage or wonky cuts I made accidentally.   So this month I'm mostly going to concentrate on using strings or quilting some string UFOs but if I have time I will work on Things too - orphan blocks and crumbs. 

So I started making 10.5 inch square string blocks with a 2 inch black center string. I am using paper foundations and old spools of thread. The paper I tear off the back will go into the compost pile.  I am hoping for a set of 48 blocks for a 60 x 80 quilt.  

So far I have 10 blocks and a still very full box of strings. 

And sew on...

CELEBRATE ! (my word of the year)

March 31 - Easter.  Took a walk in my garden to take pics and celebrate anything in bloom because 1 inch of snow is predicted for Wednesday and who knows what the flowers will look like after that.  I also planted my potatoes.  I usually do that on Good Friday but am a little late this year but then again Easter is early. 

Scilla. I have patches of it all over and it has been buzzing with bees. 

Daffodils

Daffodils

Daffodils

Iris reticulate have been blooming for quite awhile but are now starting to fade. 

Hellebore

Hyacinth

Bloodroot.

Muscari

Different type of muscari. 

April 1 - Finished reading a novel of World War II -  The Librarian Spy by Madeline Martin. Inspired by the true history of America’s library spies of World War II. I liked another WWII historical fiction book written by Madeline Martin  (The Last Bookshop in London) so decided to read another. The Librarian Spy is the story of two women - one in Portugal and one in France; one a resistance fighter and the other a librarian - and the power of the written word. 





 

10 comments:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I love reading books taking place in WWII and of the women. I will look for that one. I'm reading another right now and just finished another. If you like that type try The Shadow Network and The Silk Code - I'm in the middle of the Silk Code right now

Linda said...

I love String blocks, they always make up into colourful quilts.

Nann said...

Thanks for the book recommendation. Of course I'm partial to books about librarians! Strings, Things, and "Things Too" -- I know you'll have fun this month!

Julierose said...

Lovely "Strung things" in progress--I like the black confetti centers...nice work.
We have very few signs of Spring here--still pretty chilly--just a few brave daffodils nodding in the winds...
hugs, Julierose

Jenny said...

Strings and things sounds like another great month for you, have fun and keep stringing along!

MissPat said...

I was outside yesterday trimming back the spent hellebore leaves and the bees were buzzing away. I also cut down the big ornamental grass clump. I bought a new battery powered grass clipper and hedge trimmer combo last fall and, boy, it was so much easier to mow down that stand of grass. Daffodils still blooming here (they nicely bounced back from being smothered by 4" of wet snow a week ago) and, of course, the hellebores. which have tons of blooms this year. And the forsythia is starting to put on it's seasonal show.
I have tons of strings that need attending to. I like how you've used the black in the middle. I did that once several years ago.
Pat

Ann said...

I save my strings, too. These will be cheery and useful. I've been weeding and thinning my flowerbeds. Planting some perennials. None of yours grow in this heat, darn it.

Helenchaffin said...

I don't think they'll ever be an end to my strings binšŸ¤£ I started separating them in large baggies by color, beautiful flowers,I have a hydrangea that's turned into a treešŸ¤£

Quiltdivajulie said...

I love strings but they overwhelmed my space and after The Great String Reduction Project (and several quilts), I quit saving mine. Yours are SO wonderfully colorful. And those BLUE mascari blooms - wow!

Mystic Quilter said...

I'm a fan of string quilts, only made two in all my time of quilting. I love this one you're in the process of stitching, so many different fabrics. Full of colour just like the garden flowers!